Cali Kid Corals

ATO Suggestions

Well I’m getting close to where I can actually put something in the tank and not just stare at rock!

Are there suggestions for an ATO system? Please be aware that I’m very DIY challenged so it needs to be plug-n-play or have minimal setup.

-Gregory

im using the one from Tunze and love it. The sensor is really sensitive so it tops off im small amounts numerous times a day. The high water level alarm is pretty sweet too considering it saved my from mopping up a mess a couple times.

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter036

+1
Tunze Osmolator Universal
(3155.000)

Water level regulator with two sensors suitable for use in cabinet filter plants, in Comline filters or directly on the edge of the aquarium.
Scope of delivery: Ready for mounting with power supply unit, metering pump, hose, magnet holder for sensors.

I also use the Tunze Osmolator as well. Just have to make sure you clean the sensor every now and then. Coralline algae can build up on it and it might not work as well when that happens.

screebo said:
I have JBJ's on two tanks. Cheap and works great as long as you keep the float-switch clean. It will accumulate salt and stick if you don't dunk it and swish it around a bit every few days.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=JB5111

I you have to do that every few days you might as well just top it off yourself. :D

I keep my sump in the dark and I get no algae on the osmolator parts(skimmer,sensors,ect).
It has been working perfectly for about 2 years with zero maintenance.

I've had it stick once (which was enough) because of a bit of crud or salt that stuck on the float. My sump doubles as a fuge so it does have more chance of matter attaching to the float switch. I give it a swish every few days just when I'm cleaning the skimmer. No big effort, it's a simple concept that works fine.

I've used ATO autotop off as well. it works well, you should set it up so it has a 2nd 'safety' float so if the 1st sticks, the 2nd will turn it off and prevent an overflow. It has diagrams on their website for more info, it's not difficult to do. There are many ways for top off, I'd consider ATO a middle-of-road method, you can do cheaper like tumbleweed mentioned or more expensive, depending on your preferences. I use Litermeter III, it's expensive but I also use it to dose 2-part, so it's like killing 2 birds w/ 1 stone.

I use the http://www.autotopoff.com/products/ ATO. I have an extra one for sale if you're interested. You can check out my new tank to see how it works. (I was running two tanks at one time so I needed two ATOs)

Good thread. I'm looking for ATO too.

Here's my situation - i do not have a sump, so the ATO would go directly into the tank (which sit on a stand). There won't be any more space on the stand to put the refill water bottle, so it'd be sitting on the floor 5 feet below. I don't think aqualifter would work for such a distance, so maybe a maxijet900. My concern is - would there be a siphon backflow effect when the pump is off?

Jimmy, i'm interested in the ATO (if original poster passes).

jimmyc said:
I use the http://www.autotopoff.com/products/ ATO. I have an extra one for sale if you're interested. You can check out my new tank to see how it works. (I was running two tanks at one time so I needed two ATOs)

Thank you for the offer, but I'm going to have to pass..... unemployment has restricted my purchases for the moment. Maybe next time.

-Gregory

Hi Lynn :) I always drill a little "siphon break" hole slightly above the water line in any "u" type or other water return to prevent just that. I'm using the jbj unit drawing from a 5 gal bucket for my 20 gal frag tank. I've even got a chiller plumbed in. You are welcome to come by for a mini-tank raid, I'll show you how it looks. :star:

I use dual floats and set the pump on a timer. Should both floats fail and stick on, the timer will limit the amount of water that can dump in the tank in a given day.

Back