Reef nutrition

badbreads (jays) yay I got a bigger tank but its still small because I rent tank

Thanks Kevin, was nice meeting you. Hope you enjoy the frags (and the pistol shrimp) !!! :)

Mike, so I was able to sniff out the paralel port data, export it, etc.. but it's a major PITA. I'm about to decompile that "software" and rebuild the web part of it.

** Disclaimer ** The above is a joke, I would never do such a thing ever.

And, added a bunch of new frags to the tank.

LPS corner kind of:

DSC04289.JPG

Suicidal 6-line:
DSC04316.JPG

Green with pink stripe zoa's:
DSC04321.JPG

Orange digi monti growing out of what looks like a dead monti skeleton:
DSC04329.JPG

Blue/Green/Purple Yuma:
DSC04309.JPG

No idea what this is, anyone know? Minh gave it to me when I picked up those orage monti frags:
DSC04306.JPG

Been working on getting the PH up in this tank.

Just started doing a Kalk drip for 2 minutes every 1 hour in hopes of keeping the PH up. 1 gallon kalk resorvoir pumped up with an aqualifter controlled by a Reefkeeper 2.

A couple new corals in the tank thanks to Neptune aquatics. I absolutely love this one, pictures do not do it justice.
IMG_5001.JPG

It's some type of Monti nodosa and just behind it to the right is a dark yellow with purple polyp encrusting monti.

And a current FTS taken just tonight:
IMG_5123.JPG

What type of pump do you use to drip your kalk?

Also be careful to note what your calcium & alkalinity levels are while you drip, you might shoot through the roof without realizing it.

Tom's aqualifter, I rubberbanded some filter floss on the end of the intake hose just in case any particulate tried to get through. I also had to plug it in on one of those dedicated relay receptacles on the RK2 power strip as even when the controller said it was turned off it was still pumping.

Will do Mike, thanks! I checked today and my levels were ok so far, it's a very slow drip, probably like a drip every 2 seconds or so. When it's on it raises the PH by about .02

Wow Jay,

Your tank is getting really full! All those new corals look great!

What is that bubble-like growth on the bottom right frag in the top picture?

So Mike, you were right, my KH is tanking fast.

I check twice tonight and verified with the calibration solution and my KH is at 7. Calcium is at about 420ppm, checked twice.

What should I do now? What's the best way to raise KH? Should I start doing a 2-part?

I'm about to cook up about a pound of baking soda now and going off to buy a 1 gallon jug as well.

I wouldn't worry too much, according to one of the reef chem calculators, the balanced calcium for a dkH of 7 is 410.

However if your dKh dropped from a higher number that means your tank is taking it up faster than you're putting it in, in which case a 2 part solution would be ideal. FYI if you have a good amount of stonies in the tank you'll never keep up with the demands by only dripping kalk.

More pictures:

Sergio's red and green thing attacking a favia colony:
IMG_5116.JPG

FTS with different White Balances:
IMG_5130.JPG

FTS with different White Balances:
IMG_5135.JPG

Couple pieces from Neptune Aquatics:
IMG_5148.JPG

Close up:
IMG_5173.JPG

Red blasto colony still healing up:
IMG_5190.JPG

Stand:
IMG_5194.JPG

Inside stand:
IMG_5199.JPG

Laptop running RK2 and webcams:
IMG_5200.JPG

Kalk and ATO:
IMG_5201.JPG

Wow Jay...really nice stuff! Amazing selection in an itty bitty little box! Some of your larger colonies looks like they're screaming "frag me!"...lol.

Ouch! Sergio's red/green Acans (?) are mean! I have never seen that before. Thanks for posting so I know what to look out for.

Question about your red Blastos. Did you get them like that or did they get injured somehow? Also, when you fragged them, was it easy to cut off one polyp? It looks like the red blasto is more separated than the red/orange and green ones. I have yet to frag a LPS, but thought this one might be the easiest to start with since the polyps seem separate. How deep did you cut into the skeleton?

The colony was pretty damaged when I got it, actually it hasn't changed much now that I look at some older pictures. I thought maybe those areas where the mouth was seperated from the skirts(rest of it) would die off but it hasn't.

It was very easy to frag as there were 2 heads alive on the "dead" side. I think these might be pretty easy to frag because when you piss it off or move it the heads really retract into the skeleton.

Did you have to take the complete lower part of the skeleton off? The piece I have sits on a very deep rock. How much depth (in mm) do you think I should give it?

Also, have you tried feeding the injured polyps?

Not sure Lyn, the piece I fragged off for Levi (which I still have Levi!!!) was off on its own so I just cracked the whole side of the rock off.

I haven't, good call, I'm going to try that next feeding.

Kind of got a new camera, ordered a camera for my parents for Christmas, so did my brother, used his because it was better, forgot to return it and now it's to late to return to Amazon.

We'll start with some FTS attempts:

DSC00144.JPG

DSC00149.JPG

DSC00150.JPG

DSC00154.JPG

DSC00157.JPG

DSC00158.JPG

Got my first fungia from Neptune aquatics, it's nothing special but I love this thing, that orange adds so much to the tank:
DSC00026.JPG

DSC00031.JPG

DSC00054.JPG

Jeff's zoa's and some green bay packers soon to be DBTC I hope:
DSC00030.JPG

Chalice from the swap:
DSC00078.JPG

Green monti of some sort from Minh's tank in Fremont, the polyps on this thing extend out SOO much:
DSC00086.JPG

Green acro from the swap starting to encrust:
DSC00089.JPG

Red blasto recovering from when I got it. Lyn, I did as you suggested and it worked wonderfully!! I started to feed them often and the torn parts of the blasto have now turned into little baby blasto's!!! :)
DSC00118.JPG

Couple post feeding pics:
DSC00129.JPG

DSC00135.JPG

hehe, it usually doesn't look that bad, let me take another pic...

It's one of those Locline spray bars, does a great job getting flow across the whole back of the tank. Seeing that the MP20 is the only flow other than the returns, i was getting some detritus back behind the rocks, the spray bar fixed that problem... :)

Back