Cali Kid Corals

Baja Reef store

I believe most of us went to Baja Reef store in Hayward, CA. I would love to see i they can joint BAR as sponsor. They have some nice fish with good price.

Ive been there a couple of times before. They have a big selection of fishes, but lacks a little in the coral department.

Agree. Pretty good fish selection, especially right after they get a new shipment.
Little to no coral, don't bother going there for that.

Very different from the old Atlantis Aquarium, which is actually still there sortof.
They do mail order, still using the old location.

Some old members expressed concern with the owner and some questionable import practices.
I don't know the story, or even if it is the same owner anymore.
So the owner may or may not be excited about BAR.

Im not excited about the store as a sponsor.

I heard some illegitamite things about the store from hobbyists. Not gonna bash them online.

Nice fish and good prices though.

But the store is messy. And I dont want anything they can provide to us as a club, which isnt much. The club is interested in quality over quantity for our LFS Sponsors. I also dont think theyre interested in sponsoring the club. The feeling is mutual.

I've only been there one time, so my opinion is based on that one experience (i.e. take it with a grain of salt) but I was not impressed by the store at all. They were pretty empty of fish when I was there, and their work staff (whomever it may be) seemed more interested in talking with buddies than actually seeing if the people who just walked in have any questions (maybe they realized no fish = no questions).

I'm not too high on having them as a sponsorship for the simple fact of what would the point be? If they're fish only, and none of it is tank raised, we're basically saying "sponsor us with your ability to bringing in fish from wholesalers".

I only came to know about this store (been there once) cos I was looking for some Gorgs. I'd say the 2 things I've seen here that I don't often see in our other LFSs are flame scallops and gorgonians (they had variety of photosynthetic & non-photosynthetic ones). Otherwise, its just an ok place...

Last edited:
Back