Our mission

Banggai Breeding

Took them out to clean the breeder net and do water change. They look bigger now.. 8)
banggaibabies2.jpg

Not sure if I said this yet but....... very nice :) I love seeing breeding threads as they help dispel the myth it's hard. There are a few species that are real no work, like BC :)

It's success stories like these that makes you want to pick up a pair and kickstart your own breeding experiences.

Great job, Phong.

I wouldn't call it success yet.. I've seen that people able to keep these a month without any problem. For some reasons, after 1 month, they start dying. The previous owner of the pair able to keep these frys for about a month without any special care. They all died after a month though. Keeping my fingers cross :D ..

Elite said:
I wouldn't call it success yet.. I've seen that people able to keep these a month without any problem. For some reasons, after 1 month, they start dying. The previous owner of the pair able to keep these frys for about a month without any special care. They all died after a month though. Keeping my fingers cross :D ..

Largest cause that I have seen reported it malnutrition. The first week is critical for them and if not offered proper amounts of good feeds they are more likely to die early on.

phishphood said:
What other ones are this easy Gresham?

guppies. Those things breed like no ones business.....no wait....cichlids :)

BC are about the easiest to care for in the younger stages simply because they don't require a rotifer culture but as they grow, they are more prone to showing problems from early on, like I noted above. It's really hard to tell if they are eating enough. Ones that take rotifers are a bit easier to be kept fed IMO if you've got the rotifer culture part down. By keeping the right density of rotifers that are fed a proper diet clowns are near bullet proof. Perc's are probably the easiest to breed in the long run if you minus out the rotifer culture. Clowns for sure are more stable in the amount they produce and how often.

Heh, guppies....might as well as swordtails and the other FW livebearers.

I understand what you mean about the clowns. When I was helping out down in SD, Leslie, the aquarist in charge of the seahorses @ Birch mentioned how she would love to be breeding clowns instead of the ponies. Basically the same reason as the BC: clowns will eat the rots for sure, whereas you can only hope the baby BC/ponies are eating enough of the BBS with enough nutrition.

I was more questioning if there are any other mouthbrooders/livebearers of the BC type in SW (signanthids excepted). I think that's how you spell that at least.... :/

And I know some surf perch do the whole livebearing thing, but those are only good for eating, not reefkeeping :)

Ibn said:
It's success stories like these that makes you want to pick up a pair and kickstart your own breeding experiences.

Great job, Phong.

Yes! Everyone should pick up a captive bred pair and stick them in the sump and breed them. Its so easy and so fun and so easy and so helpful to the trade that everyone should do it. People always want them, you can DBTC them too. I have some babies going on display at work and at Monterey. :D

Phong, keep them fed and they will be fine. Benign neglect!

Ibn said:

Great job, Phong.

Yes! Everyone should pick up a captive bred pair and stick them in the sump and breed them. Its so easy and so fun and so easy and so helpful to the trade that everyone should do it. People always want them, you can DBTC them too. I have some babies going on display at work and at Monterey. :D

Phong, keep them fed and they will be fine. Benign neglect!

Yeah that's what I'm doing.. cost me about $2 a day :( (Thanks Neptune for hatching these.. My frys would be dead now if they aren't sell these :D )..

For some reasons, my BBS don't hatch |( ... I'm going to get a bigger hatching kit from BSdirect.

Skip the hatching kit. Make a ghetto inverted cone hatchery. The important part is the cone and a lot of air moving the water.

Take a 2 liter soda bottle and cut off the bottom about an 4 inches up. Take the top half with the cap on and flip so the cap is down and rest it in the cut off bottom. Get some rigid airline and run it from an airpump to the bottom. Fill the dealio with saltwater and a teaspoon/tablespoon of brine eggs, wait 24 hours and voila bbs! I alternate running two of them because the bbs only last a couple days.

Ooo- fill the bottom part with gravel or water to weigh it down.

Hope all that makes sense. :D

How do you scope the BBS out Rich? I'm thinking about getting the "bottle kit". The one that has black base and the cap. You screw in your own bottle. I went to HD and OSH to find something that I can glue to the cap and connect a 1/4" tube to it but couldn't find anything :( ..

LOL Mitch.. same as reef tank.. you use your old tank water :) ..

Back