Our mission

Banggai Pairing

I've been thinking about getting a banggai pair for a while and decided to try and pair some up.... So today I went to an LFS and got two wild caught banggais that have been in the store for a couple of months. They have clear eyes, good fins, and show no signs of illnesses. They've had the same three in the store for a few months. One of them was full grown and the other two were about 1" each. I got the two that were 1" hoping they will eventually pair up. I don't know exactly what their behaviors are when they are pairing up, so if anybody know please feel free to tell. I'm hoping to eventually try and raise fry, but for now I'm going to take it one step at a time. Is there any important info I should know about their behaviors and stuff? I've done a bit of research and know how to care for them but didn't read too much on pairing and raising young. Any tips?

http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/downloads/pdf/version8.pdf
Check out this second article in this pdf of this past issue of RHM; excellent article written by Rich Ross.
hth

There is no known way to visually differentiate between B.C. sexes :( read Rich's article though, it'll give you some good tips.

Also, www.marinebreeder.com as well as RC's breeder forum are great sources of info.

I read in another article that there is. The males have more of a squared belly and the females are more round. I know one of mine is definitely male but the other is like a cross or something.

Euphyllia said:
I read in another article that there is. The males have more of a squared belly and the females are more round. I know one of mine is definitely male but the other is like a cross or something.

To my knowledge it has never actually been show that there is a dimorphism, although there are plenty of references to it being so. No one credible I have talked to thinks there is any way to visually differentiate between the sexes of these fish. I have two pairs at home and I can't visually tell the sexes apart.
Link the article and we'll let you know if it bunk or not.

GreshamH said:
Also, www.marinebreeder.com as well as RC's breeder forum are great sources of info.

Sadly, its looking like I won't be supporting MOFIB much longer. It appears they are banning people for things written on other forums.

Euphyllia said:

Link? Quote? Author? You can't believe everything you read ;)

If I had endless time I would pull up one of the multitudes of posts by experts where they explicitly state there is no way currently known to differentiate between BC sexes. People like Jake Randall, Frank Marini, Martin Moe, etc.

Thales said:
GreshamH said:

Sadly, its looking like I won't be supporting MOFIB much longer. It appears they are banning people for things written on other forums.

On that end me neither *but* for people that need the knowledge the forum is filled with posts on such things. To cruise a site isn't exactly supporting it :)

Thales said:
Euphyllia said:

To my knowledge it has never actually been show that there is a dimorphism, although there are plenty of references to it being so. No one credible I have talked to thinks there is any way to visually differentiate between the sexes of these fish. I have two pairs at home and I can't visually tell the sexes apart.

Here's the web page I found it on: http://www.breedersregistry.org/Articles/v4_i4_marini/marini.htm
The pictures are on the right side of the page and the captions for the pictures tell the differences. I've found the same info on other sites too.

Euphyllia said:
Thales said:
Euphyllia said:

Here's the web page I found it on: http://www.breedersregistry.org/Articles/v4_i4_marini/marini.htm
The pictures are on the right side of the page and the captions for the pictures tell the differences. I've found the same info on other sites too.
Notice in my post I said Frank Marini is one of the people who states there is no way to tell? Guess who wrote that article you are referring to in 1996 and has since changed his view yet others still quote that old text? That is the trouble with the internet, it'll live on even if wrong!!!!

Article by Frank C Marini Ph.D., Copyright 1996

Sad really. http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic128192.html

You can also read about whats currently happening on MOFIB in the BOD discussion forum, but you need to be logged in.

tuberider said:
It is sad, I wish we could help, but it's a typical problem with our hobby it seems?
All hobby groups go through this I'd say, or rather I've seen it in other ones. I watched on the sidelines as my friends RC racing club got large, then imploded. It seems like a few do the lions share and get burned out and show it in different ways :( Ditto with the fly fishing club my father was involved in.

Yet BAR is different in this regard. All the past Prez's and VP's are still active in and (I think, lol!) welcomed by the community. I think that the emphasis on BAR truly belonging to the membership only, let the leaders serve w/ out having to lead too much. It is when the leaders have to lead (or more likely feel they have to lead) that resentment occurs. Where the past and present leaders have excelled in BAR is in setting the 'tone and tenor' of the community which also helps minimize burnout as we all support each other so nicely. That's my crunchy post for the day. Enjoy!-Jim

bookfish said:
Yet BAR is different in this regard. All the past Prez's and VP's are still active in and (I think, lol!) welcomed by the community. I think that the emphasis on BAR truly belonging to the membership only, let the leaders serve w/ out having to lead too much. It is when the leaders have to lead (or more likely feel they have to lead) that resentment occurs. Where the past and present leaders have excelled in BAR is in setting the 'tone and tenor' of the community which also helps minimize burnout as we all support each other so nicely. That's my crunchy post for the day. Enjoy!-Jim
I was talking about drama the rocks the clubs and nearly collapses them or does. Prez/VP had nothign to do with what I was saying.

BAR has in no way what so ever not been drama free. I can name a dozen cases to prove my point but I'll refrain :)

B.A.R.E. :p

That situation simply sucks and I hate thinking about it. I put a lot of effort into helping MOFIB as much I could and it feels like wasted energy at the moment. I hope to be proven wrong though...still waiting....

I hate that situation too. Not because I've put a lot into that community, but because I was just getting into it when the current mess began.

Back