Kessil

BAR needs YOU!! (we need a new banner design)

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=5126.msg74229#msg74229 date=1231876565]
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5126.msg74173#msg74173 date=1231867166]
I have no artistic skill, and my comments do not mean to piss on anyones design, but.... someone want to whip up something that doesn't involve a clownfish? :D
[/quote]

... Aiptasia and Vince

V

I was thinking it would be really cool to have a bunch of variations on the theme with different pairs of symbiotic animals. Clown and Anemone, Bangaii Cardinal and Urchin, Monitopora and Nudibrach...

Okay maybe not that last one. :)

Are there any other suggestions for symbiotic pairs?

[/quote]

This club has a heavy coral emphasis, so I think it should definitely include some corals.

BTW, I like Vlads 3rd picture, but it would be nice if the anemone was green, to contrast with the orange clownfish.

Other possible symbiotic relationships:

symbiotic anemone shrimp w/ anemone

cleaner shrimp on fish

cleaner fish on fish

bumble bee shrimp on sea cucumber

see here: http://www.brandoncole.com/IFPro/scripts/imageFolio.pl?img=0&search=symbiosis&cat=all&bool=and&x=10&y=9

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=5126.msg74314#msg74314 date=1231892950]
This club has a heavy coral emphasis, so I think it should definitely include some corals.

BTW, I like Vlads 3rd picture, but it would be nice if the anemone was green, to contrast with the orange clownfish.

Other possible symbiotic relationships:

symbiotic anemone shrimp w/ anemone

cleaner shrimp on fish

cleaner fish on fish

bumble bee shrimp on sea cucumber

see here: http://www.brandoncole.com/IFPro/scripts/imageFolio.pl?img=0&search=symbiosis&cat=all&bool=and&x=10&y=9
[/quote]

The last doesn't work I don't think.. Bumble Bees EAT the suckers off sea cucumber. IIRC symbiont's don't eat each other.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5126.msg74152#msg74152 date=1231835214]
I'm still pushing for a rule to be it be made in vector so we can easily make signs, stickers, t-shirts,etc flawlessly and effortlessly. Having it be non vector means if we want to do a single color silk screen we'll most likely loose some of the quality/colors/image. If it's made in a vector it's basically in the native language for the screen printers. Ditto with vinyl stickers.
[/quote]

This is important to think about. Printing a 6' long picture on banner material will really eat up the Ink, and will never looks as good. It's important to think about the background color(white), so that the banner's are cheap and easy to print. Try to use only a few colors, or one like our T-shirt. Then we can use the image for everything(Banner's, T-shirt, Mugs, and anything else you can think of).

The last doesn't work I don't think.. Bumble Bees EAT the suckers off sea cucumber. IIRC symbiont's don't eat each other.

Thanks for the correction Gresham, we don't want to put pics of parasitism going on...bleh.

[quote author=TimTen link=topic=5126.msg74420#msg74420 date=1231950212]
Please have the designs in Adobe.
[/quote]

Um, Adobe what? Adobe has like half a dozen file types used within the CS line alone!

[quote author=TimTen link=topic=5126.msg74330#msg74330 date=1231901255]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5126.msg74152#msg74152 date=1231835214]
I'm still pushing for a rule to be it be made in vector so we can easily make signs, stickers, t-shirts,etc flawlessly and effortlessly. Having it be non vector means if we want to do a single color silk screen we'll most likely loose some of the quality/colors/image. If it's made in a vector it's basically in the native language for the screen printers. Ditto with vinyl stickers.
[/quote]

This is important to think about. Printing a 6' long picture on banner material will really eat up the Ink, and will never looks as good. It's important to think about the background color(white), so that the banner's are cheap and easy to print. Try to use only a few colors, or one like our T-shirt. Then we can use the image for everything(Banner's, T-shirt, Mugs, and anything else you can think of).
[/quote]

I do not agree. This happen to be what I do for Reef Nutrition for the most part (graphics, printing, etc). I print 8' x 8' banners on digital vinyl all the time and they look great. There is a vast range of high end printers available that do a bang up job on vinyl. Not cheap, but highly available. Ink is not a worry, they charge by the square foot.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5126.msg74428#msg74428 date=1231952414]
Most likely PDF (I've sent out many posters to be made to different companies, and PDF was highly common)
[/quote]

Every print shop I use (well over a dozen now) has a totally different requirement. While PDF is a semi norm,the stand and capability always seem to differ from print shop to print shop. I typically use EPS and have found all my print shops accept it. Some color ripping programs do not work with PDF. I find shops using Roland's color rip software have many issues with PDF's thus my usign EPS as my standard. When I save a file now, I re-save in multiple formats.

I just caught that fact Tim is doing some printing for BAR. So Tim, what standard and capability do you want?

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5126.msg74427#msg74427 date=1231952289]
[quote author=TimTen link=topic=5126.msg74420#msg74420 date=1231950212]
Please have the designs in Adobe.
[/quote]

Um, Adobe what? Adobe has like half a dozen file types used within the CS line alone!
[/quote]

Adobe Illustrator is what we have done most of the printing in. PDF should work, we really only use the printer for building signage. The office just got a new printer, Canon iPF8100, so this will be its first big job. Forget what I said about using a lot of colors, no one else in the office is worried about Ink, so neither am I. If we narrow it down to a few designs I can print them small for the vote, then go full size.

Do fonts need to be outlined or do you guys have the Adobe Font Folio?

So you have a huge font folio to work from? Some of the fonts I like to use are highly not common and unless you either bought them or have the Folio Ill. will substitute them :(

I ask as I have a design in mind I want to do. I'm just trying to get *all*the specs out of you *now* rather then after the fact ;)

lol, I have to be honest, making banners or using a computers is not my strong point. We don't have Folio Ill, so we have only used simple fonts.

Back