Our mission

BAR Regional Swap February 13th @ Chabot College

Well now I'm confused. I have one person telling me to. One person telling me not. Several other messages referencing buying frags for the swap.

Plus the price is going up in a few hours.

I sent paypal funds yesterday. Hope it went through. I'm a newbie when it comes to these swaps. I have frags of montipora caps, birdsnest, pocilopora, mushrooms, different zoas and palys, digitatas, and stuff. Are these acceptable? Just want to make sure? My frags are about 1-2 inch frags and some the zoas have 5-10 polyps. Is there a size requirement? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

konkers said:
Well now I'm confused. I have one person telling me to. One person telling me not. Several other messages referencing buying frags for the swap.

Plus the price is going up in a few hours.

there is a small fee to participate in the swap (pls see the 1st post), plus you need to bring 3 frags, which you can purchase from the LFS. If you live in SJ/Mipitas area, then Neptune is one good place to purchase cheap frags.

Konkers,
I hope you paid for the swap. Bring your purchased frags and you'll end up with a bigger choice of what to take home from the swap.

there is a small fee to participate in the swap (pls see the 1st post), plus you need to bring 3 frags, which you can purchase from the LFS. If you live in SJ/Mipitas area, then Neptune is one good place to purchase cheap frags.

This kind of stuff worries me a little. The uber point of the BAR swap has been to promote both propagation and generosity and avoid the pitfall of putting in (purchasing) the minimum to get back the maximum (which has been a problem in the past). While I understand that a few people with new tanks may want to participate but have no frags, it might be better for them to wait until some of the later picking rounds when people stop picking, to pick up a few corals that are easy to keep and grow instead of grabbing stuff in the first rounds. And, though places like Neptune are selling propagated frags, I think the emphasis on cheap is the wrong emphasis, as the idea that it is just better to grow your own frags for the swap than to purchase them.
I am not saying don't do it, but I am saying watch out for it so we don't end up with the majority of frags in the swap being cheap stuff purchased from LFS. :D

There seem to be a couple reasons people come to swaps. Some of the club members use it for bragging rights. If you go to the 'what are you bringing' thread you will see posts that become a pissing contest for rare entry and or volume of entries. They love it and it works for them. Someday, maybe I will try to outdo, but for now my tank is new and small.

Others use the swap to move frags out of their tanks. Not common corals, as those are free at any time, just ask, but good colors and named varieties that have grown out and need to be made smaller. Swaps are an outlet for giving away to keep your colony in proportion for your set up.

This will be my third swap. I have more fun chatting up members than swapping so I sit out. Again my tank is small and I choose corals to add from a list I make rather than what is in front of me.

If you are new keeping aquariums come swap and have fun. Take what you feel you can grow verses experiment with. Be fair to the animals and you will have respect with other reefers. You can buy nice corals that have been propagated in captivity at several LFS. Go look at the wish list before you buy to see if you can bring something someone may be looking for.

I'm with Rich on this, if you have no corals no need to go buy 3 corals to try and bring a bunch more back. Hell if you show up chances are you'll get some corals anyways just for being a patient newbie who shows an interest to learn, and that's without needing to spend money on an entry (just $2 for parking :D).

Also like Richard I go mostly to help out and to just chat with others, sure I'll keep my eye open for 1 or 2 special pieces, but if I don't find anything I want I won't take anything.

sfsuphysics said:
I'm with Rich on this, if you have no corals no need to go buy 3 corals to try and bring a bunch more back. Hell if you show up chances are you'll get some corals anyways just for being a patient newbie who shows an interest to learn, and that's without needing to spend money on an entry (just $2 for parking :D).

Also like Richard I go mostly to help out and to just chat with others, sure I'll keep my eye open for 1 or 2 special pieces, but if I don't find anything I want I won't take anything.

I have nothing to trade. I'm just gonna go out and meet you guys and learn. I'll be in the newbie corner. :) Not sure if I'll stay long though because I have to get the tax documents ready. :~ Even cooler if I can get some corals when I leave! :bigsmile:

From my perspective Rich an Richard both have it right.

Our swaps emphasize what you can give instead of what you can get. Resulting in a fun "pissing contest" to outdo the next reefer with generosity. I like to think of it as competitiveness for the benefit of all.

But a new tank has to start somewhere. For the last few swaps we've had a newbie table with common species that show up, everything there is free for all with no picking rounds or restrictions. I'll be bringing some xenia and GSP specifically for that table. We also intentionally keep the swap to only a few rounds so that those who have more room can pick up the easier to keep corals at the end. If this is your first BAR swap you'll be amazed how many good corals remain on the tables once the picking rounds end.

But like all things there must be balance. New reefers need goals to drive them to improve their skills... and that sometimes means picking up a coral just beyond our capabilities. We've all done that and become better reefers as a result.

Just remember, do good by the animals and you'll achieve whatever you want. Don't grab an BTA or acro if you have a 12g with PC bulbs. There will be no coral at this swap that you cannot get for free in the future when your tank is better suited. If you don't find what you want when your tank and skills are ready PM me.

But also feel free to stretch yourself a little.

-Charles

Tipping my hat to all to good folks that REALLY care about promoting this hobby and educating the less informed (like me) as to good animal husbandry and getting the "big picture" of successful reef keeping. Three cheers to you all! See you at the Swap! :party:

I don't have great corals but I have extra corals you can have to bring to the swap....does that help the cause a bit? I owe you for that rock anyway.

Just a suggestion: can we please post detailed directions to the swap location? I might be the only directionally-challenged person who has trouble finding the exact meeting location, but those Chabot buildings have a very confusing circular layout. With people from other clubs attending, maybe someone can post the exact building number and its approximate location on the campus. The Google Earth map linked in the extremely informative initial post for the swap shows the entire campus.

http://www.chabotcollege.edu/about/CampusMap.asp

We just need to post the number of the building and that link I suspect. I could download the PDF and circle the place and upload it here if need be. problem is I don't remember the building number :lol:

99sf said:
Just a suggestion: can we please post detailed directions to the swap location? I might be the only directionally-challenged person who has trouble finding the exact meeting location, but those Chabot buildings have a very confusing circular layout. With people from other clubs attending, maybe someone can post the exact building number and its approximate location on the campus. The Google Earth map linked in the extremely informative initial post for the swap shows the entire campus.
Look at the map that Gresham posted.

If you're coming from the freeway you'll be driving towards the right (in the map's picture) on Hesperian Blvd.

You'll want to make a left into Lot A/B, look for the yellow(??) boxes at the end of certain rows, you will need a parking permit and there is no street parking.

Building 2300 is the cafeteria. There should be signs, if anything look for people with coolers :D

Alternately you could park in Lot C, but the way I mentioned was the most direct. Only once was it an issue, when they had a flea market that day in the parking lots.

sorry I had updated one of the posts and didn't realize there were two of the same post. The both now reflect the room number of the cafeteria.

Lot C is very little and seems to fill up rapidly. I would use B or A. Lot G is huge and I've yet to see it even 1/4 full so don't fret if lot A/B/C are full.

Do not forget you have to pay for parking.

Here is a link to the MAP. I tried to attach but got that MASSIVELY large error screen when trying to save.

http://www.bareefers.org/home/sites/default/files/ChabotCampusMap_BAR_0.pdf

Lot C is a staff lot and should not be used without security's permission. It won't be a flea market day, so parking shouldn't be a problem.

Ohhhhhh good to know, thanks Steve :)

Are all the other lots OK to park in?

Back