Cali Kid Corals

BAR Sponsors Steinhart Aquarium's New Reef Display!

Are you coming to the meeting? I can pick it up from you and bring it to the meeting for you dude. Are you talking about the red one?

no, I'm talking about this one here I think I'll go to the next meet to see what it's all about.

IMG_0087.jpg

Here's some additional info from Steinhart :)
===

THE NEW STEINHART AQUARIUM

Project Description
The new Steinhart Aquarium will be one of the most biodiverse and interactive aquariums in the world. Home to an estimated 10,000 animals representing more than 600 separate species, it will offer guests an unprecedented view of underwater life and provide insight into the critical role that aquatic environments play in life on Earth.

Ties to the Past
The original Steinhart Aquarium opened in Golden Gate Park in 1923. It quickly became world famous for its novel exhibits and unusual animals, and was the model for many of the public aquariums that opened in the years that followed. Several components of the old Steinhart Aquarium will return when the new Aquarium opens back in the park in 2008, including the dramatic entrance columns, the vaulted ceiling, the sea horse railing, and the Swamp (alligator) exhibit.

New Exhibits
More than half of the public exhibit space in the new California Academy of Sciences will be devoted to Steinhart Aquarium. New technologies and advances in animal husbandry have made it possible for the Steinhart to create a suite of stunning new aquarium exhibits, including the world’s deepest living reef tank, a four-level rainforest display, and a unique, ever-changing Water Planet exhibit.

Living Coral Reef
• The coral reef tank, which will be the second largest living coral reef display in the world, will measure 12,000 square feet and hold 212,000 gallons of water.

• At a depth of 25 feet, the new coral reef display will be the deepest exhibit of live corals in the world. Visitors will be able to view the exhibit from the surface as well as from five underwater windows.

• The exhibit will house a broad range of aquatic life from the coral reefs and mangroves of the Philippines, one of the most diverse reef systems in the world. These animals will include delicate soft and hard corals, sharks, rays, and more than 4000 colorful reef fishes.

• All of the animals for the reef exhibits will be captive bred, or come from sustainable wild sources, highlighting the importance of in-country research and conservation programs.

• The special needs of the fish and corals will be met by a sophisticated life support system that will filter the entire tank volume about once an hour. 120 metal halide lamps will simulate natural sunlight.

• A glass “bridge” will allow for close observation of sharks and rays cruising just inches below the guests.

• A jet system will simulate ocean movements and stimulate the corals.

• The exhibit will incorporate in-tank cameras and video footage, interactive displays, and regular in-tank diver presentations. To support its dive programs, the new Steinhart will be recruiting over 100 volunteer divers to help maintain the large exhibits, feed the fish and interact with the public.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. So who has the biggest one? Georgia has the biggest tank(s) but I don't think it a reef tank.

I think it's the GBR display at the Sydney aquarium. About 2x the volume of the future Steinhart reef. I think that's why some articles said, "Biggest in the Northern hemisphere".

Interesting, I saw this at their webpage

CORAL REEF

At 20,000 gallons and more than 18 feet deep, our new coral reef aquarium is the second largest live coral exhibit in the country and the deepest coral reef tank ever undertaken in this hemisphere.
*confused*

Yep, that's the current one at the SOMA location. So the one under construction is over 10x larger in volume and even deeper.

The Sydney one is only 4.5 meters deep.

FYI _ its almost time for donations....please post here is if would like to donate or need help for pickups. We are trying to see of much stuff we need to pack for them.

I need to meet with someone in SF that's going to the meeting this Saturday. I have a mini colony, or two, that I would like to donate. Please PM me. Thanks.

I'm going to be bringing the stuff to Steinhart since Arnold will be busy that Saturday, actually going to keep it until Sunday in a QT/Frag tank because those in the know won't be at Steinhart, but where abouts are you I can pick it/them up or you can drop them off if you want.

Yeah I should be available Friday, I have to go over to Arnold's to pick up a bunch of stuff for the meeting but I'm not sure when he'll be available but other than that I'm fairly open to time.

Jedininja has the coral that I want to donate but he is on vacation/travel or something. He hasn't log on for more than a week. If I can't pick it up this Sat, when can I give this to them again?

Haven't worked it out that far yet.

We're starting with just the first donation to see how it goes, and have an option to do future ones.

Back