got ethical husbandry?

Bayer - Refractometer Readings

Ibn

Picked up a new bottle of Bayer and did the first dip through it recently and lost some pieces. First time that I've experienced losses from the dip and at the request of my buddy, I tested it just to check.

Turns out that the Bayer actually pushed my salinity up from 1.026 to 1.030. Refractometer readings were taken after calibration using solution and was repeated twice to verify.

I'll be diluting my dip a bit more going forward and leave the frags in for longer.

Is that because of the salinity though? The specific gravity was simply a measure of the density of a liquid, and having all that other junk in there could make it denser while the salt content is the same.

Possibly, but then I did dilute the concentration down by 1/2 of what my normal dip was and salinity was the same as in the display.

7mL of Bayer in 10 oz. of water - unchanged salinity
~14-15mL of Bayer in 10 oz of water (my usual dip) - salinity went up to 1.30

You'd expect there to be some sort of linear change if it was from the change in the density of the liquid.

no what I'm saying is that sG is a function of density not salt concentration, yes salt concentration does change the density of water but it's not the only thing that does. What I was getting at was that maybe Bayer put more "gunk" in the stuff which increased the density. Perhaps made it more concentrated or something? those "inert ingredients" are possible a larger amount? I dunno.

If you are measuring with a refractometer, than I completely agree with Mike. Yes, anything that changes the refraction of water will change the apparent salinity. My bet is that your salinity didn't go up to 1.30. It's not to say that that isn't what killed your corals. It would be interesting to test the Bayer in Rodi water and see how high it reads and if its linear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, I got Mike's point, but I was surprised that it wasn't a linear curve at half concentration vs. my normal dipping concentration.

So.... I was all setup to do the experiment regarding linearity of Bayer, even took a picture.... and then my wife reminded me when she asked me what I was doing that the refractometer will not work if there are undissolved solids. Doh! Bayer is about as turbid as it gets so won't work.

b93ab2f6cb0d24956664fee0ff86d4aa.jpg

Back