Our mission

Belated introduction, see you all at Cali Kid tomorrow?

thirdspace

Supporting Member
Hi all -- I joined BAR last July after starting this tank last April. I have been lurking but figured now that it's the last minute (since I was planning to go to the swap tomorrow) that I should post an intro. :)

I'm in Sunnyvale and have an IM 30L that I converted from freshwater to saltwater last year. Latest full tank shot is below from a few weeks ago (I'm very bad at photography). Since it's my first saltwater tank (I kept low tech planted freshwater for about 10 years before this) I'm trying to keep things simple, though as I learn about more corals, I guess this is a "robust mixed reef", in that I only add something if there is a lot of testament that it's tough and easy, but there are soft corals, LPS, and "easy" SPS (pavona, digitata, seriatopora ["blue zing" birdsnest], cyphastrea, psammocora, encrusting montipora and one plating montipora). I added a "sky parade" acro in January that seems to be growing vigorously. Corals are mostly from online vendors, mainly Tidal Gardens, Biota, and Lazy's.

I'm a video game designer by background but have been working in tech (still doing game design but for a big tech company) since about 2017. One reason I've been hesitant to post an intro is that we're leaving the area -- moving to Seattle this summer. I'll be bummed to leave what I understand to be one of the more thriving reef communities on the west coast!

I'll be bringing one or more frags of the zoa in the middle left (unless you all think I shouldn't -- I'm bringing it because it grows super fast and I need to cut it back). It's a "sun eater" from Tidal Gardens. I find it very beautiful but man it's thriving a little too much. The sinularia (Biota "alien hand") on the right is bumping up against the surface and needs to be trimmed also, so if anyone wants any of it let me know and I can try to cut it -- I'm a little nervous to do so because it'll get super mad and it's already kind of chemically aggressive.

Anyway, hello. :) Looking forward to meeting some of you tomorrow. Hopefully bringing a local friend who is "reef curious". :) (She loves wild reefs and has never been to a LFS!)

1709413394259.png

Welcome , nice to meet you. If you do cut the leather, make sure if at all possible take it out of your tank before you do. If you can't take it out, I would be sure you have some carbon in your filtration to help with it releasing chemicals.

Wow, thank you all for the kind welcome! And I didn't realize I could stay after we move! I wish I'd posted sooner.

Unfortunately looks like I won't make it tomorrow. Our 3yo had been sick since Tuesday, and we thought he was clear of it today, but the fever's back tonight and he had a rough night last night. I'll have to catch you all at the next one, hopefully we're still in town. :/

I really appreciate the warm welcome!

Wow, thank you all for the kind welcome! And I didn't realize I could stay after we move! I wish I'd posted sooner.

Unfortunately looks like I won't make it tomorrow. Our 3yo had been sick since Tuesday, and we thought he was clear of it today, but the fever's back tonight and he had a rough night last night. I'll have to catch you all at the next one, hopefully we're still in town. :/

I really appreciate the warm welcome!
No problem, I hope the little one gets better soon.

Welcome , nice to meet you. If you do cut the leather, make sure if at all possible take it out of your tank before you do. If you can't take it out, I would be sure you have some carbon in your filtration to help with it releasing chemicals.

Thank you! I was going to trim it in a bowl. For now, I've moved it lower in the tank so it has more headroom - will see if it tolerates being kind of wedged in the back.

Welcome @thirdspace ! Glad you posted and hopefully we get a chance to meet tomorrow.

Can you share which games you've worked on or currently working on?!
Thank you for the welcome!

I started in online games in the late 90s working on a game called DragonRealms for Simutronics. An assortment of stuff after that - Kung Fu Panda World, SimCityEDU (a fork of SimCity 5 to teach environmental science), Frontierville, a PS4 launch title called Doki Doki Universe... kind of all over the place, mostly smaller games. :) The edu games have been what draw me the most, my favorite was an original ip called Mars Generation One: Argubot Academy, which we made with NASA and the National Writing Project to teach middle school argumentation.

I've actually been noodling for years on design sketches for a coral reef sim game, will see if the lower pressure up north lets me get to it someday.

Thank you for the welcome!

I started in online games in the late 90s working on a game called DragonRealms for Simutronics. An assortment of stuff after that - Kung Fu Panda World, SimCityEDU (a fork of SimCity 5 to teach environmental science), Frontierville, a PS4 launch title called Doki Doki Universe... kind of all over the place, mostly smaller games. :) The edu games have been what draw me the most, my favorite was an original ip called Mars Generation One: Argubot Academy, which we made with NASA and the National Writing Project to teach middle school argumentation.
Very cool! A lot of cool titles indeed.
I've actually been noodling for years on design sketches for a coral reef sim game, will see if the lower pressure up north lets me get to it someday.
That would be awesome! I hope that works out for you and you're able to find the time you need to do it. That would be loads of fun to play!

Back