Jestersix

BEST DAY EVAR! :D

I came home I grabbed some brine shrimp and soaked it in Selcon that a relative sent me for my birthday. I turned to walk out of the room, when I saw my female clownfish. She had tattered fins, so I looked closer. The male wall nibbling on her, so I sat down and watched. When I sat down, I looked at the male, and he was starting to clean off the rock. Then the female joined in, and they started synchronized pooping. The "poop" got half way out, and I noticed it was a cloudy color. Then I realized... those were the breeding tube thingies! :D
So now they are still at it, and I'm guessing they will spawn, but if they don't then it shouldn't be long. I got lots of pictures and videos of their activities!
They've been doing this a few times recently, but this is the first with breeding tubes! So this is it, or this is the one before it. Either way I'm positive they'll spawn either today or in a few weeks! I'll go back to making videos and taking pictures and let you all know what happens later! :)

Unless I decide to raise them! ;)
I've done my reading and know the basics of raising them and my parents said they would help me out with the cost if I pay them back with money I make selling them. However I'm not going to count my clownfish before they hatch! :bigsmile:

Their "nest" is about 1/2" under their RBTA, once they have laid their eggs, if the anemone touches the eggs will they die? Or will the parents somehow make them anemone proof?

Once the breeding tubes come down, how long do they take before they start to lay eggs? It's been about 30 minutes and they are still aggressively cleanin.

I've done my reading and know the basics of raising them and my parents said they would help me out with the cost if I pay them back with money I make selling them

Well Robin when he did his clownfish talk quite a bit ago pretty much said don't expect to make much if any money on this.

IMO unless you have a rather rare strain its not worth the effort, ORA can out produce and out price you if they're simply run of the mill clownfish

Matthew, I said that cuz unless your already set up to rasie the fry, and unless you get everything in order very shortly, they will become food

Also before you go about trying to breed and sell them you may want to ask some local stores what they would be willing to give you, it may suprise you what they pay for them VS what it will cost you to rasie them

The male and the female ate a few! But they stopped! Then a bristle worm came! THEN I STABBED IT WITH FORCEPS! AND NOW THERE ARE LIKE 200 EGGS AND THE FEMALE IS SUPER SUPER FAT! :D :D :D THEY ARE ALL FERTILIZED AND IT IS AMAZING! I GOT IT ALL ON VIDEO TAPE! 0:)

So now there is a patch of like a few hundred eggs and they are all fertilized. The wrasse and the cleaner shrimp came over to start a feast, but the clownfish overpowered them. I forgot to mention earlier that eventhough my wrasse got stung by the nems, it didn't die. It just was in so much pain that it didn't move. :( :)

Yeah. But my mom said I'm too "hyper" and she wants me to cut out dialog. I got roughly 45 minutes of video so I gots me a lot of editing! :bigsmile:
I know the PERFECT song! :D

Eight said:
I think it is more interesting to watch Matthew watch spawning clownfish than to watch spawning clownfish. :D
Can you imagine when he got his own kids for the first time ... ? I hope he will be more exited than this ... :)

I've heard if the eggs are clear then they aren't fertilized. If they are orange, they are. Is that true? The ones I have are orange. The female and male are still guarding the eggs, but the male is nibbling. Will he eat the eggs this time, or is he discarding the bad ones? If they eat the eggs this time then hopefully they'll spawn again. As she laid the eggs, she ate the first 5 or 10 (I guess since they were the first eggs that they were bad eggs?).

Back