Jestersix

Best place to buy SLR?

Hundreds of years ago photography magazines were the best place to spot great deals on top of the line SLR; out of NY, Maine, Oregon...
Now with the Internet I pretty much see the same prices or about the same...
Is there a secret place where to get a great deal on a nice SLR?

I actually got my D90 from Cameta. Ebay store, but they have a regular store too. Authorized nikon dealer as weel, very competitive prices.

Also look into beachcamera.com and buydig.com (owned by the same company). And remember if the deal sounds too good to be true it probably is. There are a lot of shady online camera shops. Be sure to check resellerratings before buying anything from an online shop.

Thx for the info, I did learn long ago about shady sellers and shady friends; bought an EOS 1 and couple things extra and "friend" walked away with my stuff but that was two and a half decades ago

Craigslist if you're willing to shop around, People buy them use them once then let them collect dust, then need money for rent. Gotta be good about inspecting stuff. My sister got a super deal on one like this.

~ quarter century ago I jumped into buying the EOS 1 and toys to go along, even a second body as back up, used a friend's credit card to buy it of Oregon and after everything was gone, decided to give up on photography.
Yes, I had to pay the credit card used for the purchase and that hurt even more.
Life changes, wife, kids, fish, coral and seeing the pictures people take makes me want to buy a nice SLR but the EOS 1 is completely out of the question.

Mario, remember it is not just the camera that helps to produce the quality pictures you see. Sure a nice camera body helps, however the lens on the camera factors in a tremendous amount, in addition to your ability to use the equipment. Many lenses can be quite pricey -I don't know what your budget is, but perhaps you can look in to purchasing a used camera body, and using the money saved to invest in a nice lens.
Just a thought :)

Thx !

Few years back I wanted to jump back into SLR after I spotted a 35-350 F 2.8 L on CL for $350, yes, insanely low but since the body was $$$ then I didn't jump to the lens.

For me would be like an investment acquiring a nice SLR to last for a long time instead of jumping to the newest Rebel, stick to one that can perform as the higher end SLR's
There's a pro photo studio near by, I'll ask for pointers towards a good place for a good used body perhaps.
Macro lens a must, then a decent zoom but nothing to want to go down on the field at Candlestick park.
There was a macro 100mm Canon EF on CL about a month ago for $350 but it was not the IS
I guess this post (CL) sparked the fire.

My best pictures were taken on a fully manual Nikon that I bought after the EOS1 was stolen; then pretty eyes got it as a gift since I was broke and she wanted a camera...

I 3rd B&H photo. I bought my Nikon from them about a year ago after searching CL and finding the prices not discounted much or the equipment more used than I wanted to buy so I paid a few more $$ for a new one.

Ebay with bing search (8% off) gives an attractive price, actually lower price than CL. Some sellers seem to be dependable, and ebay/paypal offer protection. Make sure you buy one with US warranty though and avoid the grey market ones, or you might be on your own when it comes to repair. I myself am debating on a 5d Mark II.

Yup, insanely priced for the IS model. I've shot with the non-IS version of the 100mm lens and it works great. It shared one thing in common w/the Nikon 105mm non-VR lens, the front of the barrel was not fixed (even though both lenses were internal focusing).

B&H, Adorama, Beach St., Buydig, and Cameta are all great outfits to buy from. If you buy used, get an actuations count. Some cameras might look brand new, but have been put through the ringers.

Yeah, I've got the 100 mm macro (non-L/IS) and it is a fantastic lens ... though not having to use a tripod all the time seems kind of nice.
But for ~$1k, no thanks.

Back