Kessil

Biggest 4 foot tank

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
Thinking about upgrading few years down the road, and I was wondering about what is the biggest 4 footer tank that's available on the market or used ? my limited space would only let me upgrade within 4 foot space.

I re-measured my tank, height was closer to 31”, tossed the measurements into a calculator and got 150 gallons for a rectangle tank, so mine is probably ~140-145 gallons

For what it’s worth, I have a 48” x 24” wide x 30” tall tank (150 gallon) and wish I wouldn’t have gone that tall. I’m up to my armpit if I have to grab or place anything at of the bottom of the tank. I do have tongs but they don’t work all that well when your trying to glue a frag to a rock down at the bottom. I also made the stand taller than usual without thinking it through completely. Any time I need to get in the tank for anything other than feeding I have to get the ladder out.

That said, I would have loved to have gone 30” wide by 24” tall instead!

~Charlie

I recommend a glass tank. I have the Marineland DD in the living room as our display. Acrylic requires you to be always cleaning. If you let it go at all the coraline will become unremovalable without scratching. If you NEVER miss cleaning and you are anal about it then acrylic is okay.

The great acrylic vs. glass debate. :)

And yeah which side you fall on is pretty much what is important to you. I'm in the same boat as Kim on this, I like being able to grab a razor blade (super cheaper, cheaper than those plastic scraper replacement blades they make for acrylic) and after 5-10 minutes having a tank who's front glass looked like the day I put water in it.

Just make sure whatever you decide on will fit through the door, whichever way you can rotate it (much harder to do with a glass tank, which is going to be substantial in weight).

Just make sure whatever you decide on will fit through the door, whichever way you can rotate it (much harder to do with a glass tank, which is going to be substantial in weight).
it will be a garage tank so 'door' is not an issue. i may have found a 120 if fining a 200 is hard and more expensive...

If you are not in a rush, just wait for the right 200 to show. When Mike and I went to get our brand new DD tanks, if I have had access to a pick up truck, I would have pull the trigger on another 200G the guy had in his trailer I even had the heavy duty straps; the guy selling them even had a 300G DD but he did not mention that in his ad otherwise Mike I think would have a 300 DD in his garage.
I know there's a guy in SJ selling a 200G DD on craigslist but it's a pretty penny compared to what we paid for ours. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/d/price-dropped-star-fire-glass/6552332933.html

Well the ones we got were new just at used priced, hell, cheaper than used.

And yeah would have preferred the 300 but whatever... I would have prefered the 8 foot long tank they had at Cali reefco, but he was still asking too much for my tastes considering the used ( and damaged ) nature of it

Hui
Keep in mind
A used tank...purchased from some guy
Will have NO WARRANTY
I’ve had the unfortunate occur...1” from the top
Seam failure
150 gallons, pretty much all at once, all over my new apartment
At 2am
My personal advice: buy a NEW tank (or at least one with a warrant)

Last edited:
Back