got ethical husbandry?

Black? Orange? Weird Onxy Percs? Messed Up Picassos?

Background

I bought 2 juvenile ocellaris clownfish from Aquarium Concepts. I've had them for 5 months or so and I'd say that they're about 7-8 months old as of now. When I bought them they were bright orange along with the rest of the 30 or more that they had in the sale tank with them. They were 1/2" or less when I bought them. I bought the smallest one they had, and the biggest one they had, and I'd say the overall size difference at that time was 1/4". They were too small to go into the tank because they would go right through the filter slats so I kept them in a
3.5" x 5" breeder box that had water flow from the main tank. It was like love at first sight, because the larger one only picked on the smaller one for the first day, and the smaller one does the shivering thingy now and then, but a lot more when I first got him. They are now probably a non-mated pair... so bonded pair... and the male is the exact same size as when I got him - about 1/2". The female is now a bit more than an inch.

Question

The male slowly turned darker and darker and now more than 3/4 of his total body is pitch black. The only parts that aren't black are this chest, face, and all of his fins except his tail fin, meaning the tail fin IS black. To me he's looking like a black ocellaris. I found a picture that looks almost exactly like him on the internet but just imagine the tail fin completely black.

photon-4-300x223.gif

As for the female, she has the coloration of an onyx perc, although the parts that are black on onyx percs are a super dark brown on her. IDK why an ocellaris and an onyx would pair up, which means that they either are both percs or ocellaris. My guess is ocellaris because that's what they were sold to me as. Therefore, if they are ocellaris, this means that they are any of these...

1. Semi-Semi-picasso clowns, so just picasso coloration without misbars.
2. Black ocellaris male and some sort of whacked out female ocellaris.
3. Both black ocellaris and the female's color is coming in slowly and may not be fully black.

I can't find any look-a-like pictures of the female which really says something. I'll try and post some pictures of my actual fish later but I'mm too lazy right now. What do you guys think? What kind of clown are they really? I know for one thing that this is definitely NOT the temporary colors that some clowns get. I really don't care what type they are, but I'm just curious.

Unless they got those as captive raised they can't be any of the above strains. I suspect it's a wild SI or PNG true percula.

SI true percs (where the original Onyx stock came from/is) look very much like that as well.

LA gets the PNG as well. Steve could just want larger ones that bring in more money :lol:

Well these are only 7-8 months old so they aren't that big and I have them in a 14g which is probably stunning their growth. They were tank raised and sold as Ocellaris Clownfish. If they ARE SI True Percs and they get huge, then I might upgrade the 14g to a 28g with HQI and sell my 14g... I'm guessing I'll be able to tell for sure in 6 months, and if they are SI true percs and what not, I'll think about upgrading for Christmas 2010... But I'll have to really persuade my mom! ;)

Tank size does not inhibit or stunt growth.

Huge is relative in this case. couple inches :)

Ah so they are CB. Do you know from whom? Wonder is Robin sells to them or if they're ORA?

My guess is that they are ORA and whoever put them in the tank got what type they are mixed up or they received the wrong order from ORA. However, the price & name was written on the tank in the jell-marker stuff to write on glass. The clowns looked very young and I think they may have just gotten them in so the name could have been from the previous fish they had in the tank and they forgot to change it... either way I payed $15 for each of them. :bigsmile:

On RC 3 of the Clownfish breeders identified these as Onyx. I spoke to the SA guy today at BAYMAC and explained the situation. He said that they are most likely SI Percs since they have lots of SI Perc pairs. So they're either SI Percs or Onyx Percs. I was reading a forum on RC about SI Percs loosing black while being hosted. I didn't believe it, I added a frogspawn to my 14g tank last week and the fish are actually loosing their black! :|

I would have to say SI clowns as well. PNG clowns I find just do not have that shape and color. I have 2 really nice SI pairs and getting more of these next week. I still find SI clowns to be some of the nicest ones around.

I love the look of mature SI pairs, too. The female is so huge and fat and the male is so tiny! They'll be going in my 34g when I get another tank just for my Black Ocellaris pair. Hopefully they'll get a lot bigger and get more black. :)

It would be preety unusl to pay 15.00 each for CB clowns, maybe just maybe tank rasied but even that seems low for tank rasied, I'm putting my money on wild clowns for that price.

They were SA CB clowns and were sold to me as the regular Ocellaris which is why they were $20 each or $30 for two. That could have been a mislabeling mistake by the store, or they might have left the SA sticker on that tank from a previous batch of fish and got these as wild Ocellaris from a collector that couldn't tell that they weren't Ocellaris since they were so young. So that would put us right back in the question of SI Percs or Onyx Percs.

Back