Reef nutrition

Bleached, Infested, or something else? Acropora

This Green Slimer bleached out from the base over the weekend. I'm not sure what it could be. It's been in my tank for a month and a half doing fine. One thing maybe that my Alk swung up from 9 to 13 from overdosing Part 1, or my Mag shot down from 1400 - 1150 from underdosing. These swings happened over a course of two weeks. Lots of testing and dose adjustments since adding a bunch of frags from Baymac. Test my water twice a week at Neptune (Salifert?) Also, changed from 10k reeflux to 14k phoenix 250w MH 2 weeks ago. (didn't use the window screen method to light acclimate, thought the 14k wouldn't be as bright?)

Nitrates and Ammonia - 0
Calcium - 380-420
Magnesium - try to keep it at 1350-1400
Alk - try to keep it at 10

Another culprit may be AEFW or Red bugs? I didn't really see any dots on them. And I don't see any circles/bite marks either. (When I started acclimated all my frags, I only dipped in Revive with swooshing for about 2 minutes (i was scared they were gonna get burned))

Today,(after researching the appropriate way to dip) I dipped this frag for 5-6 minutes in Revive plus used a Turkey Baster to keep blasting it. I did the same for 3 other frags that showed similar damage, but not as bad. These 4 frags were all on the same live rock tower. All other SPS, LPS, softies in the rest of tank are healthy. In the bucket, since the Revive juice is murky, it was hard to see anything 'jump' off, but when I dumped the water out, I saw some dots, but wasn't sure if they were red bugs or just debris.

Photo a few days after acclimation month half ago:

IMG_0007-vi.jpg

Today on rock tower attached sideways with morning actinics:

IMG_0201-vi.jpg

Today after dip back on frag rack:

IMG_0202-vi.jpg

sfboarders said:
That looks like RTN to me. Personally I'd cut them up and make small frags of them.

plus 1, I would cut them as close to the RTN'ed part without getting any of it on the frag iteslf.

I would go vicious and cut above even the healthy tissue. And if you lose it, I'll bring you a frag that's twice as big the next meeting I go to :D

Awesome... thanks for all the tips guys! And thanks for the frags Mike... but I'll wait until I am more confident. This makes me :~

I just installed my Bubble Magus autodoser. How much of an adjustment do you do when dosing trying to raise or lower, 10-20 mL at a time? Plus 2-parts doesn't have to be equal dose is what I understand?

(ESV B-Ionic 2 parts / ESV Magnesium, dose daily, 150 gallons total water, 12 fish, k2 skimmer, brs gfo/carbon, football size chaeto, temp constant 76.5-77.5 Neptune Apex) (18 gallon WC every week - Instant Ocean - Alk 9.9, Ca - 415, Mg - 1320)

5/13
Alk - 10.2
Ca - 400
Mg - 1365

5/14-5/15 wasn't able to dose

5/16-5/19 - 50 mL Ca , 20 mL Alk , 20 mL Mag

(Forgot to write down water test param and lost post-it note)

5/20-5/26 - 50 mL Ca, 30 mL Alk, 40 mL Mag

5/27
Alk - 13.2
Ca - 380
Mg - 1170

5/27 - 70 mL Ca, 0 mL Alk, 200 Mag

(API test at home showed 9-10 Alk)

5/28-6/1 - 70 mL Ca, 20 Alk, 200 mL Mag

Going to Neptune today to test water again.

Here's my bioload/FTS shot:
IMG_0204-vi.jpg

Sorry for the long post! But I'll start snipping away the RTN. Gonna go pickup some fragging tools!

Weird Yello Jello...
Same RTN thing happen to my green slimer frag after i put the bubble magus doser on...
I dunno if I was dosing to much, but according to my test kits, nothing changed... 3.5meq/L, 440CA and low on Mag as always.... 1100...
I was doing 40mL per day spread on 24hrs each.... After slimer died, I decreased to 20... let's see what happens... just decreased couple days ago.

It could be a blessing :D, I have a foxface in my tank that eats slimer and leaves all other corals alone, I'm sure other club members would line up for him :D

sfsuphysics said:
I would go vicious and cut above even the healthy tissue. And if you lose it, I'll bring you a frag that's twice as big the next meeting I go to :D

+1 might not stop the RTN tho. Slimers are easy to be had and inexpensive. Better to toss it before RTN spreads to other, more expensive corals.

Back