Our mission

Blue velvet nudibranch, anyone have experience for flatworm control?

Darkxerox

Facilities, Events, LFS Partnership
BOD
My red flatworms are starting to really get annoying now that I have nice corals in the tank again. I don't have space for another wrasse like a pink tail unless someone wants to help me catch this pintail wrasse I have. So I figured one of these may be a possibility? Perhaps someone has one to borrow here? I'll still vacuum but biological control would be nice.

1659031278749.png

I also read this article saying lanthanum chloride may help kill these indirectly. Anyone dose this for phosphate control see this reaction? https://www.reef2rainforest.com/202...ion-combating-flatworms-in-the-reef-aquarium/

I'm wondering if that's the active ingredient in flatworm eXit (or perhaps Levamisole?)

Either way, let me know what you all think, thanks!

I tried these but they always die after 1-3 days. I read they only live up to 2 weeks in aquaria depending when they were caught… seems they start dying as soon as they are caught.

I think anything that gets phosphate in check will reduce the planaria population since they are photosynthetic. I think that’s what they mean by lanthanum works indirectly, by reducing phosphate

I tried these but they always die after 1-3 days. I read they only live up to 2 weeks in aquaria depending when they were caught… seems they start dying as soon as they are caught.

I think anything that gets phosphate in check will reduce the planaria population since they are photosynthetic. I think that’s what they mean by lanthanum works indirectly, by reducing phosphate
No experience with these but yes, red flatworms normally means your nutrients are out of wack. Start with this.

I got some flatworm exit to deal with the planaria. I wanted to research a bit more to see if it harms anything else before I used it on either system.

I got some flatworm exit to deal with the planaria. I wanted to research a bit more to see if it harms anything else before I used it on either system.
It can kill all your sps within 2 weeks of use. Happened to me. I don’t think it was planaria toxin related. I just will never know why that happened because they don’t list ingredients. You could go to a vet and buy the right thing to dose in the right amount or research the chemicals you need and what amounts and buy legit meds.

It can kill all your sps within 2 weeks of use. Happened to me. I don’t think it was planaria toxin related. I just will never know why that happened because they don’t list ingredients. You could go to a vet and buy the right thing to dose in the right amount or research the chemicals you need and what amounts and buy legit meds.
Had the same experience about 10 years ago even though I vacuumed as many as I could see prior and during treatment. Lots of STN. Even did a 30% water change right after with carbon running. I'm sure it depends on the count, species, etc. But that's why I was hoping for a biological solution. Might have to go back to the old air line hooked into a mesh bag option and vacuum more too. Also my nutrients are not crazy either (nitrates under 10, phosphate at 0.06), they're photosynthetic and have no predation, so removal is the only real option.

Thanks for the input! I might just try a wrasse after rehoming a fish. A sixline in our 90g wiped them all out in the past 6 months so hoping for a less aggressive (to other fish) option in the pink streaked.

Had the same experience about 10 years ago even though I vacuumed as many as I could see prior and during treatment. Lots of STN. Even did a 30% water change right after with carbon running. I'm sure it depends on the count, species, etc. But that's why I was hoping for a biological solution. Might have to go back to the old air line hooked into a mesh bag option and vacuum more too. Also my nutrients are not crazy either (nitrates under 10, phosphate at 0.06), they're photosynthetic and have no predation, so removal is the only real option.

Thanks for the input! I might just try a wrasse after rehoming a fish. A sixline in our 90g wiped them all out in the past 6 months so hoping for a less aggressive (to other fish) option in the pink streaked.
From what I’ve read online the pink streak wrasse seems like the perfect non ahole 6 line alternative. I’m on the hunt for one right now.

I nuked my tank as well with flatworm exit. But it was the frag tank. Did not lost the zoas but everything else got affected.
It dose help with reducing the population but you keep have to use flatwork exit every 5 days or not sure exactly, so you will kill what comes from the eggs.

I mean it’s possible using FWE without any flatworms will mess up your corals also, because nobody knows what’s in it, and they may not have very good quality control - since they don’t even disclose any ingredients there is certainly no guarantee how much of anything is in there.

Back