Cali Kid Corals

Body Crash

I had to go to the ER last night. Long story short I have a nasty stomach flu that led to pretty bad dehydration. I went to bed at like 10pm and a few hour later I woke up and tried to go use the bathroom. I could barely stand up, though. I passed out, fell, and basically crawled to the living room to call my brother who came right over and took me to the ER. In retrospect it wasn't -that- bad. A few minutes after I called him I was okay enough to stand and walk. In the moment, though, I seriously thought that if I didn't make it to a phone I might not make it at all.

At the ER they gave me IV fluids and medicine and even did an EKG just to be safe (since I passed out). I'm pretty wiped out but otherwise feeling much better today.

While I was lying there in the hospital with saltwater dripping into my veins I was thinking about how similar medicine is to reef keeping. They gathered some basic parameters, did some more tests based on those results, then adjusted parameters and monitored for improvement. It's not at all unlike what we do when our tanks are showing signs of distress. In this case I guess my top-off reservoir ran dry.

Good Lordy!!!!

I hope you're okay Erin.

I don't think you were a little low on mag, ca or alk either - j/k I had to bring a little humor to this

Man, too much has been happening to club members and tanks lately. Hope you're feeling better, Erin. I worry about my mom, being 86 and living alone. Sooo much can happen. Everytime she doesn't answer the phone, I worry. Glad you made it to the phone and had someone to call.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=5799.msg72514#msg72514 date=1230956969]
Good Lordy!!!!

I hope you're okay Erin.

I don't think you were a little low on mag, ca or alk either - j/k I had to bring a little humor to this
[/quote]

Heh. I asked them to test those, but they seemed more interested in like blood pressure and heart rate and crap. Next time I'll bring my own test kits with me. :D

dude! frag yourself and you'll be fine ;D

on another note: After my little tank incident, I got sick (and still am). 2hrs of sleep in 48hrs, wet with salt water in a 63deg house, and walking in and out of a 40deg garage isn't kind. On the plus side, now sound like sexy Barry White.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5799.msg72525#msg72525 date=1230957873]
dude! frag yourself and you'll be fine ;D

on another note: After my little tank incident, I got sick (and still am). 2hrs of sleep in 48hrs, wet with salt water in a 63deg house, and walking in and out of a 40deg garage isn't kind. On the plus side, now sound like sexy Barry White.
[/quote]

haha. I'm imagining my little toe glued to a frag plug and listed under "DBTC Extreme: Human Edition."

I'm sorry to hear that you're sick too. Feel better and keep up with the fluids!

Wow, Erin.

Are we going to have to get you one of those medical alert systems - "I've fallen and I can't get up!" ;)

Feel better... and drink some Pelligrino! :D

that's suck Erin.. happen to me in 2007.. right on new year too
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=1587.0

Thanks everyone. I'm doing much better and even eating a little protein today. Unfortunately, that means I probably have to go back to work on Monday. :-(

Back