got ethical husbandry?

bondolo's defunct tanks

Mike, I'm so sorry to hear this! I just experienced my first tank disaster/crash about a month ago, so I now understand how frustrating and heartbreaking it can be. I hope that the remainder of your corals pull through! I'm so sorry to hear about Mr. Pinchy. He was an awesome critter :( Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

Refreshed Reef Angel is now installed and well tested for overtemp. Additional evap fan has also been installed and I now have a spare on hand. (And a spare heater and spare return pump and spare koralias). I lost a favid a few days after everything seemed to be coming back. It was just bleached and fleshless one morning.

A few of the corals I thought I had lost in my crash have returned from the dead! Little spots of life reappeared between a week and a month after the crash. Two acans, a favid, and a hammer have all come back. I am glad I didn't remove all of the skeletons from the tank.

Clean socks , clean skimmers, water change, test parameters, feed corals, feed fish. Repeat indefinitely. :)

Things are looking pretty good though I would like some more interesting corals. Still have some big gaps from my February mini-crash.

I'm going to need to frag some of my zoas soon. You need any? They'd be small frags, but I have some really nice ones. Just let me know!

It would be very much appreciated! I am not much for fancy zoas but do like to have some zoas/palys for variety. if you have any tubbs blue it would be nice to replace the ones I lost. Anything you have an excess of would fill the same niche.

I would feel bad taking nice ones as background and "groundcover"

Last edited:
What are you looking for mike?

Most of what I lost other than montis was LPS. I am still a fan of LPS even though I've switched to better lights. Favites and acans of almost any colour are the ones I am missing most. I can offer blastomussa, pavona, hydnophora, mushrooms, and nearly as much idaho grape monti as you can carry ;-) If you bring the bandsaw we could frag up a number of things that would be nice to get into DBTC before something bad happens again.

I've got more zoas and palys than I have space for right now, so I definitely don't mind sharing. I do have some tubbs that I need to frag. I also have a nice little colony of bam bams that I don't have space for and have been wanting to give away if you like those. I also need to frag a few nicer things.

Last weekend at the swap I bought LED lights from Gabe (Sorry, I didn't catch the handle) and set them up. I am now converted entirely to LED on my tanks. Huzzah! I am eager to finally install my 60 gallon frag tank. The next step in the plan is to acquire a suitable skimmer. I have been chasing after skimmers on Craigslist but so far nothing as matched my needs and budget.

Thank you Geneva (and Gabe!). Yes, pictures are long overdue but I hardly ever clean the glass anymore! The spots of coraline get shockingly big between cleanings.

Glad someone got the light from Gabe, I was bouncing back and forth in my mind over getting it for the frag tank... eventually left it because the makeshift one I have now works fine. And him saying "girlfriend will kill me if I bring this stuff back" made me think about what my wife would say "More junk for the tank!?!"

Back