got ethical husbandry?

Boun's reef tank Journal

boun11

Supporting Member
With permission from the big boss aka the wife, I was allowed to upgrade my current 50 gallons to a bigger tank. I picked up a 120 gallons tank from Jonathon aka Crabby from a trade. I picked up the canopy and stand from Norman (both of them are in different colors so I have to paint both of them.

With a help of my friend, Bill (who is a freshwater guy) and Ian, we were able to buff most of the scratches out of the tank. Also, with the help of Ian I was able to finish painting the stand and canopy. Now, I am waiting for the paint to dried and then finished it up with two set of clear coating this weekend. I hope it doesn’t rain.

Here are the specs of my tank:

Tank: 120 gallons
Light: 8x54watts HO T5 Tek Light
Sump: DIY 40 gallon
Skimmer: Super Reef Octopus XP 2000 Cone Skimmer
Return pump: Eheim 1260
Circulation pump: vortech MP40w
Chiller: Pacific Coast CL300
Corals: It will be a mixture of SPS and LPS in this tank. I got an early b-day present from Ian—Thanks Ian! He got me a really nice favia that has florescent green rim with purple in the middle.

I am planning not to use any of the live rocks in my current system. I want to start fresh so I have two trash bins of live rocks cured and ready to go. The big setup date will be January 17th of this month.

Here are a few pictures to start off this journal!

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

that is the same tank I have. I did drill some holes in the top in each corner cuz I don't have vortex PW's but I love the tank

Mr. Ugly said:

Thanks Norman! Do you recognized the stand and canopy? If you are free on the 17th you should come over :bigsmile:

Here is a bad picture of my early bday present from ian:

BKK_2884.jpg

Looks familiar, but less beat up, haha.

You should have made your wife do a faux marble finish on it :D

Happy b-day.

Free after 12 on the 17th.

Mr. Ugly said:

Happy b-day.

Thanks Norman! Come by after 12pm if you can. Most likely we'll start he process around 10:30nish.

Mr. Ugly said:

Happy b-day.

Norm's are free that day? Sweet I need to pick me up one for water testing and frog fishing :lol:

It has been 1 week since I did the switch. It was a very long and wet Sunday but we got it all done. Special thanks to Ian ad Eric for helping me out. I finally have time to take a picture of it for an update. More pictures later on this week. Here is the picture as of 5 minutes ago. It looks like I will have to battle some brown diatom algae. It's time to get some clean up crews!

BKK_3046.jpg

Looking good Boun! Sorry I wasn't around to help you out. But let me know if I can help you fill out some of that tank with coral. It looks so spacious!

DurTBear said:
Looking good Boun! Sorry I wasn't around to help you out. But let me know if I can help you fill out some of that tank with coral. It looks so spacious!

No problem Durwin! Frags are always welcome. I am going the LPS and SPS route for this tank. So if you have frags to spare let me know. Of course when you upgrade your tank I will send some frags your way as well ;)

It has been over a month since I update this thread. Here is the update FTS of the tank and some corals and fishes:
DSC_3382.jpg

DSC_3363.jpg

DSC_3366.jpg

DSC_3370.jpg

DSC_3371.jpg

DSC_3372.jpg

DSC_3377.jpg

Back