Boun's 120 gallons Journal

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by boun11, Jan 8, 2010.

1. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

With permission from the big boss aka the wife, I was allowed to upgrade my current 50 gallons to a bigger tank. I picked up a 120 gallons tank from Jonathon aka Crabby from a trade. I picked up the canopy and stand from Norman (both of them are in different colors so I have to paint both of them.

With a help of my friend, Bill (who is a freshwater guy) and Ian, we were able to buff most of the scratches out of the tank. Also, with the help of Ian I was able to finish painting the stand and canopy. Now, I am waiting for the paint to dried and then finished it up with two set of clear coating this weekend. I hope it doesn’t rain.

Here are the specs of my tank:

Tank: 120 gallons
    Light: 8x54watts HO T5 Tek Light
    Sump: DIY 40 gallon
    Skimmer: Super Reef Octopus XP 2000 Cone Skimmer
    Return pump: Eheim 1260
    Circulation pump: vortech MP40w
    Chiller: Pacific Coast CL300
    Corals: It will be a mixture of SPS and LPS in this tank. I got an early b-day present from Ian—Thanks Ian! He got me a really nice favia that has florescent green rim with purple in the middle.

I am planning not to use any of the live rocks in my current system. I want to start fresh so I have two trash bins of live rocks cured and ready to go. The big setup date will be January 17th of this month.

Here are a few pictures to start off this journal!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Looks good, Boun.

3. mpoletti

mpoletti Guest

Looks like a great start :)

4. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

Lookin' good Boun!

5. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

Thanks Eric! Are you still available to help me on the 17th?

6. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

It's still on my schedule. :)

7. Roc

Roc Guest

that is the same tank I have. I did drill some holes in the top in each corner cuz I don't have vortex PW's but I love the tank

8. Elite

Elite Guest

I can see Ian is working very hard there :bigsmile: ..

9. iani

iani Guest

I did my share of buffing. Boun just caught me in the act of lounging.

10. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Looks good- love the black background and easy access to open area in stand.

11. Nemo

Nemo Guest

Good Stuff Boun, cant wait till it's up and running!

12. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

13. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

Thanks Norman! Do you recognized the stand and canopy? If you are free on the 17th you should come over :bigsmile:

Here is a bad picture of my early bday present from ian:

[​IMG]

14. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Looks familiar, but less beat up, haha.

You should have made your wife do a faux marble finish on it :D

Happy b-day.

Free after 12 on the 17th.

15. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

Thanks Norman! Come by after 12pm if you can. Most likely we'll start he process around 10:30nish.

16. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Norm's are free that day? Sweet I need to pick me up one for water testing and frog fishing :lol:

17. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

It has been 1 week since I did the switch. It was a very long and wet Sunday but we got it all done. Special thanks to Ian ad Eric for helping me out. I finally have time to take a picture of it for an update. More pictures later on this week. Here is the picture as of 5 minutes ago. It looks like I will have to battle some brown diatom algae. It's time to get some clean up crews!

[​IMG]

18. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

Looking good Boun! Sorry I wasn't around to help you out. But let me know if I can help you fill out some of that tank with coral. It looks so spacious!

19. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

No problem Durwin! Frags are always welcome. I am going the LPS and SPS route for this tank. So if you have frags to spare let me know. Of course when you upgrade your tank I will send some frags your way as well ;)

20. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

It has been over a month since I update this thread. Here is the update FTS of the tank and some corals and fishes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]