Neptune Aquatics

Breeding Angelfish

Have any of you had any success in Breeding Angel Fish? I know it particularly much different then breeding clowns. Can any of you share your process? For example. Tank Set up, Size. Feeding schedule etc. Thanks

Our sister club MARS brought in John Compollino recently to talk about angel fish care and breeding. Maybe we can get him to speak at our club at a future BAR meeting.

Our sister club MARS brought in John Compollino recently to talk about angel fish care and breeding. Maybe we can get him to speak at our club at a future BAR meeting.

FWIW John Coppolino is not a fish breeder... his talks tend to be on either angelfish in aquaria, or reef and angelfish.

OP... breeding what angelfish? Some are far harder then others. Very few have made this feat though, I'd suggest starting with clowns and working your way down the egg size.

Check out mbisite.org/Forums/ section on angels.

BAYMAC, i was thinking of breeding Angels in the near future. After reading more and more about it, it seems the major and one of the most important parts are getting the wild phyto and food for the fry. So down the line i might need to have direct connections. I was trying to breed Bandits. My dream would be to breed Peppermint Angels. I know a couple that actually goes out to Dive for them. I might come out with them next spring to soak up some game.

no one uses wild phytoplankton really. You want single strains for culture. Some collect wild zooplankton, while others use a few different species of copepods and oddball rotifer strains.

FWIW MO breeders and aquaculture is our main customers where I work. Zooplankton, phytoplankton and larval feeds is our game.

IIRC Karen is either working on Bandits, or was working with them.

Yea Larval too. i read karens blogs. Some good stuff. The more research I do about the process makes me a little discouraged but i will give it a shot down the road. Im probably going to take everyones advice and start with Clowns..I always jump into difficult project pretty quick. Although I do learn alot.

Nobody knows who will succeed with a new species...until somebody accomplishes it. Often times difficult first come from unlikely sources with those that can approach a common problem or bottleneck in the process from a different perspective. Don't let other people failures discourage you! Gresham is the man btw. Pick his brain as much as possible

Last edited:
Somehow I think Gresham got changed to Graham. :D Who is he really?

If you haven't already, take a look at http://fromfisheggstofry.blogspot.com/
Karen Brittain does use wild plankton. She is not a commercial breeder so maybe that doesn't count in Gresham/Graham's world.;)

Breeding peppermints? Lofty goal. Just getting brood stock would be very impressive.

Karen uses wild zooplankton... not wild phytoplankton. Collecting wild phytoplankton would give her a soup and wouldn't help her replicate what she is doing in the future ;) She'd need to isolate it, and once you do that, its no longer wild phytoplankton.

We have shipped to IO and HIMB many many many times, and of course Wikiki is a customer as well. We're one of a few that can ship live stuff to Hawaii, granted the consignee must have all the proper permits.

FWIW, might I jump in with a couple suggestions? Definitely pursue the dream of angels or other tough species, but I would offer that the basics are best learned with easier species if you have not bred before. A lot can be gained by books and advice, but the "sense" that you will develop from practical experience will prove invaluable when you tackle the tougher stuff. Start with clowns or neon gobies, both relatively easy, then move up to damsels to perfect your techniques. Once there, go after the tougher stuff and move forward the frontier of knowledge.

One other thought ... make sure your husbandry techniques are perfected before taking on rarer species like peps. It's fantastic that you have a line on supply, but you would hate to lose any due to husbandry issues. Besides, happy fish = breeding fish.

Back