Kessil

Brown out

I have just changed all my T5 light builds, The other thing I was doing was changing out PhosBan once a month and I here I should not be doing that every month, so I’ve stop doing that and only changing it once every 3 months.
Alk=9.3-using B-Ionic
Ca=330, using B-Ionic
Mg=1080-using BIonic
PH= morning (7.82) end of day with lights on (8.09)
Ammonia=0
Nitrate=0
Nitrite=0
Salinity=refractometer=1.024

Hmm....Cal and Mag can get bumped up a little but dont think that can cause corals to brown.

When you changed your bulbs did you light acclimate? Not too familiar with t-5's but I know when swapping bulbs for halides its usually best to put a couple layers of screening and remove a layer a week so the corals dont get shocked. Maybe someone more experienced can chime in.

At 330 cal I could see your Acros being very unhappy. Why are you going to three months with the Phosban? It seems to me that the PO4 would creep up then when you add frsh media it would drop back down creating instability.

A friend told me by changing it ever month I could be shacking the corals and that the media last longer then a month. I have not let it go for over a month yet. It was the plan this time . As for the lights I lowered my corals. In addition they were brown before I chanded the light. I was thinking it could be the lights.

Did they all brown out?

I have one "canary in the coal mine" coral in my tank - an acro that turns brown whenever my parameters start to shift. The newest growth turned completely brown the other day. I decided to double check my water and my ALK was at 6 dKh.

Well while the calcium is worrisome I don't know if that would be the exact culprit to kill the corals off, I mean I've dropped to 340ppm, 4dKh before, and yeah the corals show stress, one encrusting green montipora actually turned brown (never liked that coral anyways :D), but no die offs from it.

You magnesium is quite low as well, might want to work on bringing that up, stop dosing alkalinity components (test daily though), and bump up your calcium until they get balanced.

Tony,
How did you create the .jpg image of the Adobe Flash display of your Apex graph? I don't get "save as a .jpg" as a choice when right clicking the ph graph.

Back