Reef nutrition

Brown spots on digitata?

WCKDVPR

Supporting Member
Hi All,

In the last 2 days this brown region appeared on the back of my German Blue Digitata? Any thoughts as to what is going on? There are no longer any polyps in this region.

I hope it isn't something bad as the stalks on this coral have grown at least 1/2" in the last 6 weeks since I received it.

Thanks!
20171006_113915.jpg

It has always been that color. In my tank journal thread I have grown to calling it the German "Not Blue" Digitata :)

Tank parameters are all good and quite stable (the Apex DOS really helps there), except for consistently running 0.00 phosphate (even with no more chaeto, as that had a growth burst when I put it in then died off).

In the new picture, it looks like there are some dark strings off of it. Could that possibly be some type of algae? If so, how do I get rid of it?

Brown spot.jpg

Last edited:
Algae will only grow on a coral on dead parts, not living tissue. You can just manage it (manual removal or assume CUC will eventually get it) and hope the coral can recover and grow back over it (doesn't happen often) or you can cut off the dead part so you don't have to deal with the algae.

OK, I waited until the polyps went in for the night. I placed a very bright white light on it and it is definitely bare of polyps and fairly dark greenish. I picked at it with a tweezers and nothing really came off that I could see/recover, though it did get a bit whiter. So I picked some more the best I could to get it mostly white, but not completely. OK if that doesn't repair, as it is low and to the rear of the tank. Just hope it stops, as this guy is really growing for me. I pulled out a few of the stringy things and they looked like coral tissue (pinkish), not algae.

Back