Our mission

Bruce's "Never Again" Build. (Walnut Creek)

If I were to start up an aquarium again. Depending on what I was trying to keep and the flow. 1” of sand if that’s what you like. Or bare bottom. I would definitely start with all mature live rock. I’ve always believed that something comes out of live rock on the micro level to sustain life. Mike palleta talks about dead rock and growing frags. He said his frags die after a few months. So I tried it. And sure enough. Most of them died unless they were the hardy ones.
Arvin recently started a large aquarium. I asked him if he started with dead rock or live. He said old live rock. He said he had zero death.
Please keep in mind. This is just what I think.

Oh one more thought. Since we are talking about micro biome. I don’t think the micro biome travels thru the water as one would think. Some does like ich. On the molecular level. I believe it moves slowly. Although it is said that bacteria reproduces itself every 20 minutes. Also we don’t know what is killing it either. Supposedly we only end up with a few dominant strains. I always wondered why I put stuff in the sump but action doesn’t happen in the display. When I put it in the display action happens.
Having said that. I have 3 aquariums connected to 1 sump. All 3 aquariums have a personality of their own. Example is algae. Some aquariums have it some don’t. Some have different types of algae or cyano. This is over the years of course. So the miracle mud if it helps will be minimal at best in the sump.

I've started more tanks than I can remember for my short time in the hobby. Every tank I started with dead rock went through all the uglies (I have one I'm doing now that just got past dinos and now has hair algae all over) and would get random coral deaths. Any tank I've started with mature live rock I've been able to do whatever I wanted (to a degree) on day 1 and not have the same issues aside from new sand added going through uglies.

My experience with bare bottom tanks along with many others is that usually the rock scape alone isn't enough to support the biome and either bio blocks or a sump full of live rock are needed to make it stable and not have nutrients swing all the time.

I used to always just keep a bunch of live rock in my sumps and would trade for dead rock with people I knew who are starting out and then throw their dead rock into my sumps. (I currently have a bunch of rock curing in a 33gal brute but they aren't ready yet.

The main issue with buying live rock is you don't know what pests you may get. For an experienced reefer that usually isn't a huge problem as most all pests can be dealt with. For someone new in the hobby any pest might just be the turning point that makes them give up as it's hard enough to learn everything needed to keep a good pest free tank going.

I'd definitely find some clean live rock from any members and use as much live rock as possible and supplement any more needed with dead rock.

I've started more tanks than I can remember for my short time in the hobby. Every tank I started with dead rock went through all the uglies (I have one I'm doing now that just got past dinos and now has hair algae all over) and would get random coral deaths. Any tank I've started with mature live rock I've been able to do whatever I wanted (to a degree) on day 1 and not have the same issues aside from new sand added going through uglies.

My experience with bare bottom tanks along with many others is that usually the rock scape alone isn't enough to support the biome and either bio blocks or a sump full of live rock are needed to make it stable and not have nutrients swing all the time.

I used to always just keep a bunch of live rock in my sumps and would trade for dead rock with people I knew who are starting out and then throw their dead rock into my sumps. (I currently have a bunch of rock curing in a 33gal brute but they aren't ready yet.

The main issue with buying live rock is you don't know what pests you may get. For an experienced reefer that usually isn't a huge problem as most all pests can be dealt with. For someone new in the hobby any pest might just be the turning point that makes them give up as it's hard enough to learn everything needed to keep a good pest free tank going.

I'd definitely find some clean live rock from any members and use as much live rock as possible and supplement any more needed with dead rock.
This is the plan I currently have a nice chunk of live rock from Ken set aside. I'll gather some more from some member's tanks once this thing gets wet. I was hoping to get some from Mike, but again, he's tankless....

My wife sucks. She’s a backstabbing ….
And on that note....

Mike came out yesterday and did the plumbing for me, and we filled the tank.
I set up the apex and did the electrical work today so now it's a waiting game.

Attachments

• IMG_5325.jpg
    IMG_5325.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5326.jpg
    IMG_5326.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5324.jpg
    IMG_5324.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5323.jpg
    IMG_5323.jpg