got ethical husbandry?

Building a stand for my 210G tank

Phong - I added a vertical center brace in the back via a half lap joint. Each half lap was cut on opposite sides of the boards in an attempt to the center brace from twisting. The front also has a center brace as well, but it is attached via pocket screws on the skinny side of the 2x4 this way it can be removed when and if I need to do major work on the sump.

I'll take some pictures tonight.

Hmmm... I went to take pictures tonight and discovered it was a little hard to explain via my pictures mainly because I actually skinned over the areas of interest with 3/4" ply already.

So I thought I would post my inspiration from RC instead.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=553005&highlight=dado

I guess I can explain it better if you were standing in front of the stand and I could physically show you.

Phong
You might want to make the center braces removeable. Just use L brackets/angles to attach wtih screws to you wood center brace.

That's a idea. My setup will be very simple. It's not a big problem if I add the center brace. It's nice without it but it doesn't bother me much if there is one ;D ..

I'm working late today so I ran to HD and got some 2x6, trims and 1/2 plywood. Another $100 :( and I still need the outer skin (1/2" plywood - birch or maple) which would be around $50. The good news is I save about $300 building the stuff by myself ;D .. I called Marine World System and they want $675 for an unfinish stand :p :D ..

I didn't pick up the clue. What is the different between tidebond II and III?? III cost more and it seem to be stronger (according to the label). Should I get III instead??

$675 is going to worth it Phong.

I stopped counting after I bought the 2x4's ,then the pocket screw system, then more screws, then real oak for the front of the stand - more so after that I really stopped counting because it was depressing and I hadn't even started yet. ;D

The fun part of DIY is you can tell people that you build that stand yourself ;) ..Plus you learn something and save some $$ ;D

I don't think I saved money - this hobby is not about saving money :D

I do like looking at the stand and think - wow, what a piece of crap - yeah, but the tank looks nice though ;D lol

Spent yesterday and today to work on this piece of crap ;D .. It's lighter than I thought. I was able to carry that thing all myself :D .. I'm sure when I'm done with it, I would need atleast 2 helpers to carry that inside the house.

I use tidebond III .. Man that sucker is strong. I show you guy some test that I done later. :D

So far I used 8 - 2x4, 3 - 2x6, 1.5 bottle of glue and 1 pound of 3" screw :p.

I think I will add another piece of 2x4 all the way around the bottom. What do you guys think??
There will be cross bars on top and bottom. I bought 8 pieces and I'm running out of 2x4 :eek: ..
33_22_04_07_4_46_12.JPG

33_22_04_07_4_48_55.JPG

I did what Bonnie suggested. I put a 1/2 plywood between the 2 - 2x6.
33_22_04_07_4_49_10.JPG

Can't show the stand without the tank ;D
I cleaned it and remove the two overflow boxes. I need to replace the glass and cover the holes on one side. I will use only one.
Tank is in the garage and it's hard to take pic. I wish I can move it around :) ..
33_22_04_07_4_57_58.JPG

Here is a question for you guys. What should I do with this?? I know I can use silicone but I don't the new one will stick well with the old one. :(

33_22_04_07_4_58_20.JPG

33_22_04_07_5_02_11.JPG

Almost there :D ... I need to apply several coats for the doors I just finished (that's why the color is not the same with the rest). Install the bottom trim and the side door.

I didn't stain it because my wife doesn't like it. I'm regretted that I listen to her >:( ..

stand1jv2.jpg

;D It will up and running soon. I have to add some support for the floor. Ordered the jack post already. Hopefully I can find some free times to work on the overflow and the sump this weekend.

I'm thinking about painting the sump/fuge all black except the front. Do you know what to use to paint acrylic??

Phong - if you're not staining it - what are you going to use to protect from water splash? Will you be using some type of urethane / verathane?

Nice job on the main structure - looks very sturdy. The stand look strong enough to hold your honda minivan. ;D

I use Polyacrylic gloss finish.

Yeah because the tank will weight about the same as my mini van when it's fully loaded ;D ..

Back