Cali Kid Corals

CAD Lights 46G

composition_071417.jpg
1619189784196.png

Last edited:
LOL. Picked up something different while meeting up with Phuong. Non-photosynthetic red finger gorgonian with yellow polyps.
1619189858142.png

red_gorgonian_071617.jpg

Polyps are quite large and it can consume the snow in the water column. Here's a closer shot with the polyps capturing some of the snow.
1619189869696.png

red_gorgonian_feeding_071617.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, now that you mentioned it, it does look like a hand.

Here's the WT fireball that came in with flatworms. It finally got moved to the display tank after removing the frag from the rock it came on. No signs of flatworms or their eggs but like the Chasing Coral documentary, it has full on bleached. Polyps are still present and the tissue is there, even though there aren't any zooanthellae on it. It's managed to keep itself clear of algae, so I'm crossing my fingers that it makes it.
1619189937004.png

wt_fireball_071717.jpg

Here's another piece that has managed to barely survive. This sucker was really sensitive and my buddy and I each picked up a frag due to the mother colony's colors. Amazing looking rainbow that looks like to be a decent grower in Vivid's tank. This is the Vivid confetti. Costed us a pretty penny and I'm just glad that half of the frag survived for each of us. Let's see if this one is like the PC rainbow in its growth speed.
1619189950649.png

vivid_confetti_071717.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, thanks Alan!

What's your overall plan for the tank? Feeding heavy on the gorgonian? in which case how are you going to deal with additional nutrients?

Overall plan is just to let everything grow until they start intruding into each others' spaces. Don't worry, I've already acquired a quote from AC for an upgrade, which won't be until this fall at the earliest. The tank is fed pretty heavily because of the anthias and the gorgonian shouldn't have an issue thriving since it's a Menella sp. I haven't measured nutrients in awhile. I just wipe the glass every couple of days and since there's no signs of algae anywhere else, other than coralline, I didn't feel the need to.

Yep, it's going to replace the current tank which sits in an odd corner of the office. Any larger than that and it'll stick too far out.

I would love to have an 8 ft tank w an external overflow and maybe 29 or 31" tall. Could probably fit a 7 ft. but to gain a foot from what I have now and 6" of height the cost and the fight with the wife are probably not worth it. :(

Not getting a tank for home as I'm looking at moving at the end of October. Already have too much crap to move, let alone another tank. I'll set up the Biopod at home instead.

Was messing with just some pics with RB only.

Homewrecker
tris_homewrecker_rbonly_072917.jpg
1619190082115.png

Walt Disney
jkr_wd_rbonly_072917.jpg
1619190091983.png

...and an updated shot of the Wet Thumbs Fireball. Slowly getting some colors back in its tissue.
wt_fireball_072917.jpg
1619190102010.png

Last edited:
Golden dwarf moray kicked the bucket. Stopped eating over a week ago and finally used up all its reserves. Found it on its back side being blown around by the current with very shallow breathing. Pulled him out of the tank at that point and euthanized it in the freezer. Came in at a hefty 11" and lived in the tank for over a year. Not sure how long they live, but it was doing so well up to that point. I probably won't keep another since they're so cryptic.

My usual daily weekday feeding will be short of the intermittent silverside that I feed via tongs. The below is thawed and then fed throughout the day.
daily_feeding_080317.jpg
1619190181080.png

Chaeto reactor needs to be pruned back soon. It was reset on the 22nd and has grown a fair amount.
chaeto_progress_080317.jpg
1619190198274.png

Last edited:
Looks like it. I do weekly 10% water changes on the tank which is basically a 5G bucket so it isn't so bad. I need to add the chaeto pruning in between every other water change.

Back