got ethical husbandry?

Calcium Reactor Media As Substrate

I recently put some under my jawbreakers. This is mainly so I can try to keep them contained and not float away. It seems to be working ok.
20240305_161958.jpg

When you setup your aquarium properly, there is zero maintenance required when using reactor media as a substrate.

I started this trend about 15 years ago months before the first BAYMAC when I met Victor (from WWC) at the old shop and he followed the concept soon after.

At that time, I was the first one to carry “Real Reef” artificial rocks as an exclusive reef rocks. However, I noticed that because the porosity of the artificial stuff was so terrible that nitrate and ammonia level seems to fluctuate quite often so I knew that there wasn’t enough biological support for the system. That’s when I started experimenting with the reactor media by replacing the sand with it and that was in a Biocube 29. About two months after that, the little BC29 had become rock solid with stability.

I love using the media for several reasons. One, it increases massive amount of biological support for the tank due to porosity of the natural material. Two, it can handles massive amount of flow without causing a sandstorm. Three, it act as perfect bottom growth substrate. And finally, it acts as perfect substrate for microfauna to thrive in.

As far the detritus that gets trapped in it, it shouldn’t be a problem if you maintain proper parameters of the tank. Much of the that stuff either gets taken cared of by the natural microbes and microfauna that lives in the substrate or it has become rendered completely inert by them, even when they are inches thick. The longer you leave the substrate undisturbed, the better it becomes self reliance.

Give it a shot but most importantly give it time to mature and you’ll see all the benefits. You will also rely a lot less on your skimmer when the substrate is fuller matured.

When you setup your aquarium properly, there is zero maintenance required when using reactor media as a substrate.

I started this trend about 15 years ago months before the first BAYMAC when I met Victor (from WWC) at the old shop and he followed the concept soon after.

At that time, I was the first one to carry “Real Reef” artificial rocks as an exclusive reef rocks. However, I noticed that because the porosity of the artificial stuff was so terrible that nitrate and ammonia level seems to fluctuate quite often so I knew that there wasn’t enough biological support for the system. That’s when I started experimenting with the reactor media by replacing the sand with it and that was in a Biocube 29. About two months after that, the little BC29 had become rock solid with stability.

I love using the media for several reasons. One, it increases massive amount of biological support for the tank due to porosity of the natural material. Two, it can handles massive amount of flow without causing a sandstorm. Three, it act as perfect bottom growth substrate. And finally, it acts as perfect substrate for microfauna to thrive in.

As far the detritus that gets trapped in it, it shouldn’t be a problem if you maintain proper parameters of the tank. Much of the that stuff either gets taken cared of by the natural microbes and microfauna that lives in the substrate or it has become rendered completely inert by them, even when they are inches thick. The longer you leave the substrate undisturbed, the better it becomes self reliance.

Give it a shot but most importantly give it time to mature and you’ll see all the benefits. You will also rely a lot less on your skimmer when the substrate is fuller matured.
Thanks your prospective has me wanting to give it a shot.

Any thoughts on using it in a sump or refugium?

Back