Our mission

Calcium Reactor recommendation needed

1. You are currently not using that much 2 part, relative to your water volume. You could easily get away with a 612 (which is what I have) for awhile. If you have lots of SPS that will grow out, or become SPS heavy, a 618 would be better. If you have room in your sump, or a fish room, I would go with a 618 anyways, just so you don't need to refill the canister as often. Refilling is a pain in the butt, with those thumb screws and leak risk, etc. The 618 is just taller.

I bought a secondary chamber but have not set it up yet. My pH seems fine without it. It is supposed to supersaturate the alkalinity and raise the pH of the effluent a bit. If you have room for it, definitely get a secondary chamber.

2. It comes with recirc. The feed pump is a big debate where most of us are gonna suggest the masterflex or similar pump for best results.

3. I think it's good enough but it's easy and cheap to install additional if you want.

4. Up to you if you want to give up your pH or ORP slot. I think it's good to know tank pH and carx pH. I also liked having ORP, so I got the PM1 module. I think it's good to have it connected to apex because you're gonna control the co2 tank solenoid to energy bar to shut off if your carx pH drops too low (emergency) or to actually control the pH in your Carx.

5. Up to you.

6. 5 is too small, I think. But really depends on space. I can barely fit a 10lb in my stand. If you can fit bigger, go bigger imo. I haven't refilled my tank yet, but I will probably buy a backup 10lb eventually.

7. Not sure what is included with the geo (got mine from @Newjack). But there is a valve to control the co2 rate, and if you use a masterflex you won't need another needle valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 10# and a 20# I'll swap them as needed. Dual chamber is the way the go. I also suggest going with either a aquarium plants regulator or a good dual stage. Dual stage prevents end of tank dumps. With a proper pH controller I think it's very rare to have that issue with an aquarium plant regular can't day for those cheap single stage ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the info guys. Since I'm in no rush, I'll wait until I can find a used geo and ss regulator/carbondoser, masterflex. Otherwise, black friday or holidays sales will entice me to get a new one. In the meantime, maybe piece together my own regulator or just get one from Alan.

I have spare NextReef reactor to use as a secondary. Also will pick up a PM1 module too.

Damn those go quite a bit further than the old school ones you'd get for ~$100. At that price the Aquarium Plant electronic one doesn't seem too pricey.

Damn those go quite a bit further than the old school ones you'd get for ~$100. At that price the Aquarium Plant electronic one doesn't seem too pricey.

Yea, especially if can find used about $200. I see aquarium regulators from Asia on eBay using Japanese stc solenoids for less than $100. Not sure about those but I'm sure they work too.

Yea, especially if can find used about $200. I see aquarium regulators from Asia on eBay using Japanese stc solenoids for less than $100. Not sure about those but I'm sure they work too.

You CAN find used regs for less. Then you have to get the solenoid, then the metering valve, then the fittings.

Now you have to put it together.

You can save some money doing it yourself, I did. But you come pretty close to what he is asking for.

And you run the risk of a leaky reg.

Especially if you have to buy some fittings twice since you got the wrong ones and another metering valve because the ends were the wrong size and you don’t want to add adapters to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the conclusion here is if you want decent reliability at a really good price go with a used Carbon Doser Electronic?

There are plenty of affordable two stage regs available but means brass, some nickel plated brass. Those would be the kind of "don't set and forget"
If you find an Aquarium Plants Regulator at good price, snatch it but if that's not the case, JBJ, Milwaukee, M3 will do the job while you fill the piggy bank for a nice SS unit.

The whole deal with brass is that there is potential corrosion issues right? So if you keep your tank isolated from the salt spray filled sump you should be good to go?

The whole deal with brass is that there is potential corrosion issues right? So if you keep your tank isolated from the salt spray filled sump you should be good to go?

Yes and must add CO2 is also corrosive so in the long run a SS unit will pay for itself?
The warranty card on a Milwaukee reg is only for six months due to the corrosive nature of CO2

Yeah I guess the oxygen component is going to bind with the copper & zinc in the brass eventually, even if it's more energy favorable to be with the carbon.

Makes me wonder if that electronic carbon doser is brass what's its lifespan, no way it's electronic AND SS. Although Kris has been using his for a long time.

Back