got ethical husbandry?

Can anyone please help me with pump noise?

I have a 46 gallon bow with an overflow (but not bulit in). The overflow falls into a 10 gallon sump. The return pump currently is a quiet one 1200. I have also tried the Maxi-Jet 1200 and the Ehiem 1250 as a return pump and I can't stand the loud hum that all the pumps give off. My tank is in my living room which is next to the dining room and kitchen and you can hear the hum from each pump in those rooms and well into the bedrooms. I have tried wrapping the pumps with foam and putting foam on the bottom of the tank. I even tried putting pillows and towels under the cabinet to abzorb the noise. Any suggetions or suggestion on a different pump. I also have a Mag 3 and 5 pump which I usually use to mix saltwater with and those are even noiser. Please help!

The Eheim 1250 is the most quiet pump out there so you should try that one. Use a piece of thick rubber for the feet of the pump to keep the vibration to a minimum (thick rubber mouse pad does help, I have some thick flat rubber pieces if you need some) and then use some fiberglass panels to insulate the inside of the cabinet to absorb the noise.

The mouse pads will help, I have also used a insulated cardboard box to cover the pump ( made a cut out for the pipes/plumbing tubes to fit out of). You may want to see if you can make something to close the stand up if there are openings in it to absorb more sound.

I bought a bit sheet of neoprene, and I use it on the bottoms of all my pumps. My tank is in the living room too, and now it's almost completely silent unless the vortechs are ramped up to 3000gph. This is what I did (though Gresham has advised to not use the hard zip ties and to just lay it on top):

If your Eheim 1250 is still loud, it might be defective or broken maybe =/

If that does not work these pumps, although external, are dead quiet.
Poseidon Titanium Aquarium Water Pumps.

I use high grade silicone tubing from my pump to the tank. It isolates noise far better then Spaflex or any other flexible pvc. You can get it from mcMaster if you're wondering :) I have some 3/4" I could bring tomorrow to show you.

Back