Reef nutrition

Can I send out a water sample to be analyzed somewhere?

I'm wondering that if I gave some to the local reef shop if they would just do what I do and use those little kits, but is there some lab where I can send water so they can tell me what I'm screwing up?

Even with my large water changes, I'm getting LPS bailing out of their skeletons.

Thanks

V

There are 2 places that i have heard about. I was thinking about doing the same thing soon.
Check into these 2
http://aquamedicwatertesting.com/
and
IMG_5452.PNG

The Triton seems cheaper, but doesn't include shipping. I'll look into those both. The Triton website is hard to figure out, I can't tell where the water testing section is, though I see from NewJack's photo that it's not just triton-us, but triton-lab.de or something.

V

Thanks, when I went to buy it, it auto-redirected me to Marine Depot, so actually bought it (Aqua Medic test kit) from MD.

Should arrive in a week (free shipping) then I guess I fill two bottles and ship it back and then the results are supposed to be ready in the next day for download. I'll provide a picture so we can all see what info is provided.

I was tempted to do the two-test pack, but the savings is just a few bucks and if I didn't like the experience I'm not locked into it. So I guess I'll see what the parameters are and see if it's anything obvious that is affecting my tank and see what they recommend to fix it.

I had tried a magnesium test and it showed low magnesium, but I've done several 40 gallon water changes since then. The last water change was 3 weeks ago, so if I get the test by next week, the water will be typical tank water with a month old WC. I think that's a good representation of what the water is like.

V

Just received the kit, but now am thinking of doing a water change then waiting two-three weeks before sending in a sample, since I used dissolving food pyramids over the holidays and don't want to taint the sample. Also I have to scrape a lot of algae off the glass, so I want the tank to stabilize post-scraping.

V

OK, so I bought it from Marine Depot on 1/9/17 and the return label to AquaMedic says "Expires 12/31/16", so I have to deal with Marine Depot ... they said that Aquamedic will contact me and send me a new label. Grrrr....

V

Back