Reef nutrition

Chasing Coral

Peter and I watched it last night. A real eye opener. I wonder that as the oceans are warming and we lose long established coral reefs, new reefs will begin to slowly grow in places where the water was a couple degrees too cold previously?
This was my thought too. I think it's a stretch though since the water temp is only one factor. The change in light becomes more dramatic the farther you get from the equator. It would just mean more adaptation would be needed not simply a matter of relocation.

This was my thought too. I think it's a stretch though since the water temp is only one factor. The change in light becomes more dramatic the farther you get from the equator. It would just mean more adaptation would be needed not simply a matter of relocation.

And don't forget that these reefs are thousands and thousands of years old. Reef adaptation and build up won't happen anytime soon and during that time there will be hundreds of thousands of extinctions that lead to other changes.

Artificial reefs are a thing. They can be used to relocate corals to areas they didn't exist in before. If it needs more light maybe it just has to be higher up.
Where there is a will there is a way. Life adapts. Many corals are surprising in their ability to survive and thrive in captivity imo. Obviously not all species would fare equally well, but I'm sure there are plenty that could live in places that people wouldn't expect.
Temp and lighting are easier to play w by changing depth, however ph is going to be more difficult.

Artificial reefs are a thing. They can be used to relocate corals to areas they didn't exist in before. If it needs more light maybe it just has to be higher up.
Where there is a will there is a way. Life adapts. Many corals are surprising in their ability to survive and thrive in captivity imo. Obviously not all species would fare equally well, but I'm sure there are plenty that could live in places that people wouldn't expect.
Temp and lighting are easier to play w by changing depth, however ph is going to be more difficult.
I have seen some of these artificial reefs using old ships that have been purposefully sunk. Within 20y or so, they already have corals encrusted on them.

just watched this, GBR is now on my list of places to visit.

Just watched this....makes me wanna go out and hug my nearest coral reef....Hawaii anyone?

have you dived in Hawaii before? Going for the first time this year and would love to see some coral if you have any recommendations.

I have dived Maui and Oahu. I would say great for turtles, tangs, reef sharks. just so so for some hard coral. IME, mostly porites and pocillopora. A lot of lava rock formations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back