Our mission

Chloramine filtration

L/B Block

Supporting Member
So over the weekend I had managed to discover that the kold sterile system was essentially a phosphate bomb and adding in a ton of it that those diatoms were eating up like wheaties. It may be that we are overdue to replace the filters-still some concern about this.

However it it was doing a good job of filtering out the chloramine.

As the cartridges are getting more expensive to get and the phosphate issue I am looking around for a new chloramine filter system.

What are people using? I was looking at the chloramine monster by BRS. It's pricy but one cartridge is supposedly good for 75,000 gallons! Or rather with rodi 75k/water waste ratio.

In my mind it pays for itself in a year...
Curious to what else is out there

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chloramine monster is great. But the filter they use is 25 micron. The chloraplus-20bb by pentek is better it's 1 micron if I remember correctly. I currently have one chloramine monster and a chloraplus-20bb in series it strips it all out.

Curious why you think 1 micron is better than 25 for chloramine filtration? Doesn't seem like it should matter to me? And seems like 1 micron might clog up faster?

I liked want less particles to get to my membrane so makes longer life for the membrane. In the end we want 0 TDs as well in the product water just my logic. I was reading up on this month's ago many recommend the chloraplus-20bb over that other one.

The chloramine monster is great. But the filter they use is 25 micron. The chloraplus-20bb by pentek is better it's 1 micron if I remember correctly. I currently have one chloramine monster and a chloraplus-20bb in series it strips it all out.

Good to know-
Do you use a sediment filter prior to, or does the 1 micron provide a sufficient job?

Any clogging?

Thanks
LB

I have a 5 micron sediment filter infront cause that's the smallest I can get for a 20" unit
Ok. May be a dumb question-but what is the reason for the sediment filter and is necessary.

Also how long does that cartridge last for?
BRS says 75,000 gallons or 75k/water waste for rodi but then the vendor says switch out every 3-6 months depending on use.

Lawrence

Can anyone tell me what a
Coconut Shell Solid Carbon Block is. Or rather what is the deal with coconut shell?

Buy a 1 micron sediment filter and a chlorplus 10 chloramine block. If you have a 3rd cartridge space run any carbon block, or a second chlorplus 10 and call it a day.

Comparing a 10" unit to a 20" unit is like apples to oranges.
I realize 10" is not quite the same as 20" but the reality is that I really don't need that much firepower.

Probably running 50 gal every two weeks all said and done. If the 10" gets it done then I am happy.

I wasn't comparing them at all? If you want to argue w me then let's go. If you want to help the op you may need to elaborate a bit

My comment was for L/B , my main point was that these 20" blocks are thicker thus can have more contact time with the carbon thats needed to strip the chloramine out of the water. The 10" blocks are only 2.5" in diameter while the 20" block is 4.5" in diameter.

My comment was for L/B , my main point was that these 20" blocks are thicker thus can have more contact time with the carbon thats needed to strip the chloramine out of the water. The 10" blocks are only 2.5" in diameter while the 20" block is 4.5" in diameter.
Scuzy-it is something I did notice that the 10" only have 85% removal rate. So the option is to run two blocks as suggested which should then be 100% or get the 20" monster. Just trying to gauge what I have and what I need to get. And not have to contend with different port sizes...

Btw another "dumb" question-do I need any sort of media holders for the carbon block or sediment filters.

Thanks again for everyone's input on this.
L

Back