Jestersix

Cleaner Shrimp Picking at Bird of Paradise ?

I have noticed lately that my cleaner shrimp has been picking at my Bird of Paradise frag and no others. The polyps on the BOP are never extended anymore. Could this be ?

A psycho shrimp :D.

BTW, I found a small colony of the EXACT same coral you were looking for, it is different than what I have. I took one look at it and knew instantly what it was, I'll get you a frag of it since I now want one :D

Look at the coral really closely because Cleaner Shrimps usually pick on dieing shrimp. Also whenever you see it picking at the Bird of Paradise terrorize it with your net. After a little bit it will understand and stop. Or you can get a Symbiotic Goby with no partner and if it partners with the shrimp your problem will most likely be over. Last suggestion is that you get a medium sized Golden Banded Shrimp that will scare it so bad it will stop hurting your coral.

So far the coral's colors are still vibrant, just the polyps are not extended, but I will keep a close eye in the next few days. The tank is bare bottom, otherwise, I would get a goby since I tend to like those.

Back