got ethical husbandry?

Cloudy water

I filled up a new build I'm working on(100G Volume) Took about 2 days to fill up and water has been sitting and circulating on/off for about 4 days so far. Water is RODI not saltwater. I noticed it's slightly cloudy, is it possible that it's a bacterial bloom? Even if it's just RODI?

I've experienced this in the passed but only with saltwater. I did have a heater fail on me while trying to heat the water but the heater failed in the off postion so no leaks from the heater, was a titanium heater.

Any rocks or sand in it? I'm wondering whether there's any ammonia/nitrate for bacteria to eat. In the past, I've gotten bacterial blooms in my freshwater tanks too - same bacteria.

Glass Tank brand new.
Sump brand new.
Heater that was washed and dry for weeks previously used for saltwater mixing.
Return pump washed and dry for weeks also used for saltwater mixing in the past.

I did have my hands in the tank.
There was light bleed from the windows.

Why you fill your tank with RODI water? Is it for leak test purpose? It not good idea to mix salt in the tank unless you don't have any rock and sand on it. Also I don't think any bacteria bloom if just rodi water only. Cloudy may cause by tank not clean up throughly.

I filled up a new build I'm working on(100G Volume) Took about 2 days to fill up and water has been sitting and circulating on/off for about 4 days so far. Water is RODI not saltwater. I noticed it's slightly cloudy, is it possible that it's a bacterial bloom? Even if it's just RODI?

I've experienced this in the passed but only with saltwater. I did have a heater fail on me while trying to heat the water but the heater failed in the off postion so no leaks from the heater, was a titanium heater.
Yeah likely bacterial but I wouldn’t worry too much about it personally if only mild. You won’t have bacteria growing in a sterile clean container filled with RODI but I’m guessing this isn’t a sterile clean container. Even if it is bacterial, it’ll grow and use up your nutrients/organics, then stop blooming.

Yeah likely bacterial but I wouldn’t worry too much about it personally if only mild. You won’t have bacteria growing in a sterile clean container filled with RODI but I’m guessing this isn’t a sterile clean container. Even if it is bacterial, it’ll grow and use up your nutrients/organics, then stop blooming.
Yea was not sterile, lots of surface area exposed from the tank and sump. I was questioning it because it was rodi water, very cool bacteria will bloom almost anywhere! Once I Mix salt and add my livestock I think it'll go away within a few weeks.

Reactions: JVU
Back