High Tide Aquatics

Clown Eggs

Well this morning while conducting the morning check, I found that my clowns have laid eggs. They are attached to a rock in the lower corner of the tank. I can see fully developed fish in the eggs shack.

So what to do? Is it worth trying to save them?

Any help or input would be great.

It's basically a challenge to raise them; mine spawned over a week ago and I'm not prepared to try raising the baby clowns; I have an old 20g cube tank that might serve me as a "nursery" tank for the next spawning. I'm trying to place something right where the spawning took place, maybe a piece of tile so when they spawn again I can easily take them out and transfer them to the 20g tank.
You should try to get a book "Clown fishes" by Joyce D. Wilkerson; it is very interesting.
Since they are a breeding pair, they will constantly lay eggs so you will have time to get ready. I talked to my brother about growing our own rotifier culture and by what's on the book, seems a simple multi-2 liter soda bottle set-up.

Couple options Jed. The guy I introduced you to at BAYMAC (Dazed - Freedom Meat Locker) has experience raising clowns if you don't want to go through the hassle. If you do want to raise them I have the above book and a few others, plus, Chad used to work at ORA and surely could help you in his "spare" time :D

We;ll talk tomorrow, I'll bring the books with everything else. I'll PM time and place tonight when I get home.

Well, I will see how this goes. I collected as many fry as I could the other night. We currently have 8 fry still living and growing very fast, maybe caught around 50 fry originally. I will start to feed BB shrimp tomorrow, which will be day 6 after hatching. I will post a more detailed post after a few weeks and the next set of eggs.

chads120 said:
I have a breeding pair of B&W clowns. If you raise yours please post success and difficulties. It may be something I will try.
If you ever decide to sell your pair, please let me know. I've been looking for a breeding pair of B&W clown for a while..

Did you feed them live rotifiers? if so, I'd appreciate if you let me know where you bought them, I'm up for the challenge but maybe a couple more spawning.

Thx

Yes I did feed them live rotifers. I got the rotifers from Reed Mariculture Inc. www.Reed-Mariculture.com

Update: I am at 7 fry left. The runt did not make it through yesterday. They are starting to take the form of clown fish now. It is crazy how much they change each day. I am now feeding BBS to them, plus keeping the rotifer numbers up. These guy are pigs.

I've read that some people go from rotifers to Otohime food, skipping BBS. It has more nutrition in them compared to NHBBS or BBS. I think the test is if they eat it or not. But from what I've read clown fry are pigs and will eat alot. Reed-Mariculture sells a sample pack for $50 that has alot of diff sizes. Keep up the good work, sounds like it's going well for you! My clowns eggs should hatch tonight so we will see if I can get my feet wet with these guys. I'm not as prepared as I would like to be but I hope to learn a little for the next batch. Keep the updates coming and add some pics if you can. Thanks

Well it is time for round two.

At 3:15 the clowns laid more eggs onto the tile, that I had placed in the tank. This time I will not have to catch them in the big tank:)

That seems to be the best way to go. These is no need to watch and wait for them to hatch. Also if you see that they are getting eaten you can remove it early.

Jed I do not recommend going rotifer>Otohime for your first few times. Keep doing the BBS.

I left the strainer on my porch before I left for IMACwest...but....I never told you :( Guess I can now bring it to your house on my way to work sometime this week. I just rolled in from driving back from LA and working like 90+ hours in 4 days so I suspect I won't be at work tomorrow.....bet I'll see the sun come up as I still have corals to acclimate and dip :)

Back