Cali Kid Corals

Clownfish Bruising?

Alright, just got back from a week long trip with the pet-sitter watching the tank, almost immediately after a four-day trip. So the tank hasn't been getting maximum attention recently, but it seems everything's doing pretty well. No lost fish, corals aren't any more pitiful than when I left, etc.

My skunk clowns, however, seem to have some bruising on one side of their bodies. Just patches of darker scales, without any fuzz or spots or redness or anything. Wondering if this is a sign of some disease I don't know about, or likely aggression from other fish. The tank was down to 1x/day feedings while I was gone, but I'd been conditioning the heck out of them in preparation for the trips, so they'd gotten used to 4-5 feedings/day.

captive raised, right? I've seen that numerous times but have no idea what causes it. Some of the cases the clown was the only fish in the tank. They seem to come and go for no apparent reason.

I believe these guys are wild-caught (yes, ten lashes with a wet noodle), though I could be wrong about that. If this comes+goes even on fish w/o tankmates, and popped up after a week of low-feedings in my tank, sounds like nutrition is a possibility...?

Nutrition couldn't have been the issue with the ones I saw, the (owners, er, clients, and I) took very good care of them

Gotta love having a ex ORA tech sitting in the same office. He said they saw that on stressed fish, fish with poor nutrition or sick fish. Sometime associated with low DO or fish TB.

Are they hosting in something other than an anemone? I've seen it on clowns hosting in a frogspawn or hammer, don't recall which tho. Removed the coral, black spots disappeared. Tried another one, same spots came back again.

They don't host as much as most clownfish I've had, but when they do decide to chill, they hang out in my two sebae (crispa, I believe) anemones.

Yeah, I like skunks. :)

The good news is that they seem just fine. A little discoloration is no big deal and they're inhaling food like nobody's business.

Back