Clownfish covered in white film layer

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by CookieJar, Mar 9, 2011.

1. zepplock

zepplock Guest

Awww... so sad.
    You should get a nice pair of tank raised clowns next time.

2. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Well, more bad news. The male also has it. The good news is I caught him after a 15 minute chase and gave him a 20 min bath in FW. Now he's in the QT tank swimming around. I'm not so good at fish pictures but you can see the white film on the back 1/2 of his body. This stuff really grows fast- yesterday I didn't see any and 24 hrs. later he's got a lot of it.
    Is the 20 minute FW dip enough to rid it? And how long will it take for it lessen or disappear on him? Any other recommended treatment/ medication?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

I read the 1st part of this thread about the formalin treatment. I'll give it a go- Gregory- where are you located? I'll take you up on getting a small amount of it. My QT is only 10 gallons so I don't need that much.

4. GDawson

GDawson Guest

I'm in Vallejo......PM sent

BTW - 20 min FW dip by itself worked for me......the nets said 15 min but I lost one that way. It took a a couple of days for the white slime to disappear. And yes it is FAST. One clown went from no symptoms to completely white to dead in 48 hours.

-Gregory

5. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Mine were ORA. It doesn't help the dealer had them in a tank that shared filtration with wild caught. ;)

-Gregory

6. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Update- the male didn't make it either. :O That brookynella is really nasty stuff- takes a healthy fish out w/i 48 hrs.
    I'll be looking to add some captive bred clowns, but I'll wait for at least 8 weeks to make sure it's run it's course and that no other fish die. I know Robin is the guru of clownfish breeding around here.

7. houser

houser Past President

Bill,
    No good, no good at all.
    Who may have recently brought it into your tank?

8. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Sorry dude. :( It's not a pretty way to go........

-Gregory

9. zepplock

zepplock Guest

I have 2 cute clowns from Robin in my tank and I think Vince had several as well. All are doing great, mine lay eggs now all the time and host my 5 nems

10. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Yeah, I'll have to get some Robin clowns in a couple months. It gets me think about removing my frogspawn/ hammer colony and going the anenome route.
    Houser- the most recent fish addition was 1 month ago of a yellow coris wrasse and he died within 3 days. Otherwise no new fish were added for a long time.

11. GDawson

GDawson Guest

It could have been the wrasse. I found this with host information:

For those following this thread: This is why you should have a QT tank for new arrivals, and yes I was
    guilty too.
    It only takes once to find religion.

-Gregory

12. houser

houser Past President

Bill,

Hmmm,
    FWIW it took 27 days on my last pair of clowns in Q to get the brook. One day fine, next morning the full mucus ghillie suit laying on the bottom. Picked em up, put them in formalin for an hour, cleared it up. I just feel the window is really short to operate.