Jestersix

Clownfish with Mouth Fungus

Hello Fellow Reefers,

This morning I was feeding everybody and noticed that my female Goldbar Maroon seems to have a case of mouth fungus. The pair recently began spawning and is on their second clutch of eggs. @Kensington Reefer suggested this may be stress from trying to clean the rocks they are spawning on or perhaps an infection that might be treated with chloroquine phosphate. I've checked my usual go to LFS's and no one carries this compound. Do any of you have any? I am ordering some today, so I'll be happy to replace whatever I'm given or simply pay you the retail value up front. Also, if any of you have experience treating this condition, I would be humbly grateful for your advice.
Tearfully yours,
OnTheReef

The only way to get pure CP is through a vet prescription. I wouldn’t trust any retail stores that sell it since they contain so many impurities. It is likely to throw off the dose and render it ineffective.
Fungal infections are pretty rare in saltwater so a picture might help to confirm.
If it is fungus I would move to QT and look into melafix & pimafix.

It is far more likely to be a bacterial infection that can be treated with broad spectrum antibiotics. If it is a particularly nasty case I would combine Metroplex, Furan-2, and Kanaplex in QT.
If it isn’t too bad you can usually clear it up with increased feeding and soaking food in selcon.

Last edited:
Back in the day, I got CP from kmaintl. Not sure if he still is around, but his website is still up and has it listed. http://kmaintl.com/

I wouldn’t trust CP from most online retailers. Kmaintl had it for his own use in breeding clownfish and provided it to other hobbyists. When I checked with my vet for CP, the smallest amount he could find was way more than I would use in a lifetime.

Agree with the post above it seems like there might be better treatment alternatives.

Check with Bay Bridge, I’m pretty sure he buys pharma grade CP direct. He uses it in his QT system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, I think I figured this out. The female clownfish attacked a giant bristleworm and got a forehead and mouth full of bristles. When I removed the rocks to catch the pair, the worm fell out of their nest rock. When I netted the female, the bristles came off. She still has a couple large swollen white spots on her lips, but I think these are injuries from being stung. I am still going to treat the pair in a little AIO I bought at Neptune, but I think she's going to be ok.

Check out the video of her:

Last edited:
Back