Our mission

cool frag tank setup on craigslist for cheap

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/2123735933.html

stand, sump, tank, and lines need light and sand. I thought it was cool I dont have room for it.

iCon said:
Meh...Let's leave Craigslist on Craigslist :)

Why? He posted a pretty good deal and some member who doesn't normally CL might not see :D

hell if i had more room in my house I would by it. I see great frags and stuff on craigslist for cheap what if i got some real deal red hornets and wanted to share them on here I d need a frag tank other then mine.

I bought this tank and will be setting it up over the next couple of days. I would like to divide it and grow mangroves in the back half. If I can get the mangroves well establish I would like to see if I can do without a skimmer. For the front half I plan to use it for frags and a non-reef safe critter (not chosen yet) that I can't keep in my main tank.

For those who missed the CL post, it's a 24"L x 24"W x 12"H 30G with a 10G sump. It came with a home built but serviceable stand.

bondolo said:
I bought this tank and will be setting it up over the next couple of days. I would like to divide it and grow mangroves in the back half. If I can get the mangroves well establish I would like to see if I can do without a skimmer. For the front half I plan to use it for frags and a non-reef safe critter (not chosen yet) that I can't keep in my main tank.

For those who missed the CL post, it's a 24"L x 24"W x 12"H 30G with a 10G sump. It came with a home built but serviceable stand.

Nice grab!
I have a ton of mangrove starts if you want some.
I will also be giving them away at the swap.

AWWWWWWWWWWWW DAMN YOU! hahahahaha i just emailed the guy asking bout it hahaha its cool though good for you hope everything you grow comes out very nice next time i see something agian i ll post it

bondolo said:

Mangroves uptake nutrients fairly slowly, you'd need a TON to do anything at all..... a TON as in more trees the anything else (water, fish, etc).

+1What Gresham said.

Plus, in my experience they are a pita to take care of properly. If you don't mist them frequently they stagnate. Caveat: I'm not sure which type I had, mine were from a beach in Brasil.

Most likely Reds Gusty. Reds have the longer cigar shaped leaves and have the large propagules. They grow more like a tree then a bush. Blacks grow more like a bush and have a roundish smaller leaf. I am not familiar with whites.
(images from http://www.seabean.com/guide/Rhizophora_mangle/)

Rhizophora_mangle-leaves_topside.jpg

Red, White, and Black Mangrove Leaves
(left to right; topsides)

MangrovePropWeb.jpg

(above image from http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4H/Other_Resources/Contest/Highlighted_Ecosystem/MangroveComtype.htm)
Red Mangrove progagules

Reds are most common IIRC the most hardy. I'm trying to get blacks right now, I like the bush shape better and their easier to bonsai then reds. Reds LOVE to stretch to the light and get massive node lengths.

Mind if I ask what your care routine for your mangroves is Gresham? I always felt like mine didn't thrive because I'm away from my tank a lot, they never died, just kind of sat there with a couple leaves out for 2 years, so I didn't include them in my new tank setup even though I've thought they were a neat addition.

Back