High Tide Aquatics

Couple of IDs please (and advise if bad)

Nav

1). Around last month I had an outbreak of pineapple sponges but now noticing this tube looking sponges. They're soft and almost look like a tube version of the pineapples. What are they?

2rm184w.png

2) Also I'm seeing an outbreak of these small red feather dusters (white stem).

2r5kz.png

3) While observing the tank after lights out, for the first time noticed 2 very thin worms around my zoa frag. They're brown, thin, 1/4", earthworm-looking and vanished before I got a good shot. Hitchiker? or good micro life?

6fxmcw.png

Any IDs, if they're good/bad and a suggested course of action if bad would be helpful. Thx

First one is just a filter feeder and they are good, imo most sponges /filter feeders are good as long as they don't sting or overgrow corals.. Can be an eyesore if they multiply a lot but usually only show up out of sight and out of light . I've read some interesting articles on sponges in the wild and some believe they are the sole reason why reefs and oceans can process what they do.

Second are also just filter feeders and also good imo..

Third seems to be a small bristle worm also good..

All these things imo are things that make a reef tank stable and self sufficient to a point.. I wouldn't remove any of them if it were me.. Taking out all the natural things that deal with cleaning up the water and decay will stall the maturity of the tank.. Now when things start competing for real estate of your prize corals that a different story but I will usually just throw them in the sump in that case.

My vote is keep them all =).

Not sure on the worm of course...there are lots of different possibilities. Try to observe it further. Don't worry overly much tho! First two are fine IMO as well

Reactions: Nav
Bump (ID on the worm pls)

Also this thing is what I've been calling Dino in my tank. Its like tiny sponges, translucent, slimy, brown and grows on rock. Can anyone confirm this is Dino?

DSC_6764.JPG

i wanted to mention, that there is also an algae filament sticking out. That almost looks like briopsys but in this context I do not believe it is so.

Its not cyano for sure (cos i have patches of cyano in my sump and they're maroon).

@neuro yea few such strands showing up now. I guess best bet is to bring up Mg to 1500+

Its not cyano for sure (cos i have patches of cyano in my sump and they're maroon).

@neuro yea few such strands showing up now. I guess best bet is to bring up Mg to 1500+

Since you have what you think is cyano, and its maroon... that all cyano in your tank must be maroon and shaped like that? ;) Cyanobacteria has several growth forms, and numerous colors. Dino and cyano can look identical. Lucky for me I cleared this up 20 years ago upon finding a phycologist. Now I work with one.

You maybe right. The cyano I have is like a layer of maroon slime, but this brown thing I'm calling Dino grows more as clumps and doesn't get any of those tiny air bubbles like cyano...

I'm going to try the 3 day blackout period soon but afraid I could kill some coral (I got some expensive ones in here now).

You maybe right. The cyano I have is like a layer of maroon slime, but this brown thing I'm calling Dino grows more as clumps and doesn't get any of those tiny air bubbles like cyano...

I'm going to try the 3 day blackout period soon but afraid I could kill some coral (I got some expensive ones in here now).

I had a outbreak of what you described and it would go away at night and re-slim my rocks in the day with the lights on. I had some rainbow acans, frogspawn, rose tip anemone, and other corals in the tank.

I turned off my 2 Kessiles and wrapped the tank in a blanket for 7 days and all was good nothing bad happened and it did get rid of the outbreak combined with at water change....

I figured that the 7 days would do damage to corals, due to that in nature all type of places can have stormy days longer than a week where the corals are and those corals do fine...now don't get me wrong its not the best but no harm should come from that....(but I did check up on them at night with a dim flash light to just make sure every this was ok....lol)

Jon

Reactions: Nav
Back