Reef nutrition

Crab OK?

I have this crab that I found in my 29g tank that came as a hitchhiker. He's dark purple in color, and his body is over an inch in diameter. I was wondering if he would be harmful in my reef tank. I have a few small acros, montis, zoos, LPS, and softies. The picture isn't the clearest, but I did my best to get a picture of him, because he's very difficult to catch.

27926crab.jpg

I also had this guy hitch hike into my tank - I think it was responsible for killing several of my fish but I can't be certain as I rarely saw it.

Catching the sucker it a whle barrell of laughs :shock:

I added an image as an attachment as the way you linked will only work for those with active coookies to RC :)

Funny you should say that about your fish. I had a peppermint shrimp and 6-line wrasse go MIA. I suspected the crab, but wasn't certain. I still have my ocellaris, but then he doesn't hide in the rock like the other two did. I'm dreading having to catch the crab.
And thanks for the image help. Is there anyway to upload images to this forum?

Get it out asap. I had one in my old tank. Killed a few chromis. We nicknamed it the ninja crab because it was almost black and very predatory.

I had one hitchhike in on an acro. I lost a pistol shrip/goby pair as well as a whole bunch of sexy shrimp before I realized that the crab was the guilty one. They aren't that hard to catch. Just put some food in a shot glass angled upwards in your tank. If you put a cover just large enough for him to crawl in, but not so big fish get into it, he'll crawl in and can't get out. Remove the glass with the crab and you're done.

-Russell

You could always try my trick .... Go on a vacation, as far away as possible and have a neighbor watch out for your tank. Have the tank collapse while you are away then the rocks will be coming out anyway :eek: Thats how I found mine, but not the recommended approach ;)

Here is my method for trapping unwanted critters. I had a ton when I first set up my tank (used TB Saltwater liverock). Take a 20 oz coke bottle, use a razor blade to cut off the top just above the label. Invert the top into the remaining bottle and place some prawns inside.

I was able to catch 5 (yes 5) mantis shrimp as well as several annoying hitchhiker crabs using this method with little or no damage to my tank.

seminolecpa, I tried your method using a smaller 500ml Crystal Geyser water bottle, and it worked great! I put it in my tank and the next day--Viola!--instant crab trap 8) . Thanks for the tip!

Back