Jestersix

Custom 150 Gallon Starfire Project

Ok I sold my 180 Gallon am officially in the "Design" phase for my next display tank. I have decided to get a custom glass tank with 3 sides Starfire glass. I want a footprint of 48"L X 24"T x 30"W with a dual internal overflow system. I like the idea of a external, but am worried about longterm leaking issues etc. I am planning on keeping this tank longterm. So that being said I need to think of all the places I might like to put it.

I like the clean look of single overflow, but many have stated that dual is the way to go with a tank this size. They could however both be located on the same side of the tank behind the same overflow cover?

For now it will be placed up against the wall, but in the future I would like the option of using the tank as a room divider. I know that sounds crazy. But is there a overflow config that would not look as bad on a tank that could be used both up against a wall and also a room divider tank?

I'll start posing drawing tonight, I'd like to get tank builder started next week. It takes a month for them to build it and ship it over.

An external OF is no more prone to leaking then an internal. In fact it's less dangerous to have an external then internal as if the interior panel sprung a leak the entire tank would flow through the OF where as an external that could never happen.

Here can I find out the different types of overflows? Is there a place online that shows what each designs look like and the pros and cons or them?

Gresham, thats a good point one to consider. But yeah if he IOF cracked the whole tank would be on the floor :(

FWIW I much prefer external overflows so I'm biased. After years of IOF I just couldn't take it anymore and went EOF. I have a tank I am about to take down with a leaky IOF. It'll drain the tank if the power is out for two days.

Ok here's a first diagram. I like the idea of the external over flows, but practically I need a tank that does not have plumbing coming out the sides. One day it may be used as a freestanding room dividing tank. What do you guys think of this? Whats good bad about this design?

diagram.jpg

Seems well planned; I like the idea of external overflow, lots of real estate space saved inside the tank but I have also seen the Oceanic Tech series OF boxes and seem neat and narrow; if going internal, sealing the threads of the pipe (Threaded bulkheads) with Teflon tape will assure no leaks; as long as the pipe is at set height, even if the OF internal box fails, the pipe will prevent the tank from draining.
If you go with external, you may order a coast to coast overflow; nice feature since you are going custom.
Anyway you decide please post pictures

anyone else? Gotta order this tank next week, and for me this is quite a expensive tank one that I cannot redo later, so I have to get this right.

Back