Kessil

Dave’s 230 Gallon Reef

Are you sure you want fuge before the skimmer?
It looks like the tank would work either way.

Various pros/cons, and many opinions each way of course.

The divider is comprised of two pieces. The first is an adjustable baffle that lets you set the depth of the refugium chamber. There are two spacers on the baffle that a clear slotted piece of acrylic attach to. This is to keep the macro from going into the Skimmer chamber. The clear slotted piece is about 1/2” in front of the baffle.

6ba5d9db634454038dc2cd8b542919ac.jpg

086c0be90dc20409228fabbff6c92d22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on my past experience, here is what I think will happen if the chaeto takes off.

It will clog the slots making the water rise. Chaeto will rise with it clogging up more of the slots until the water eventually goes over the top.

Can’t remember who but 1 company has a largish lip on the fuge side right below the slots to try and keep the chaeto from clogging up the slots.

Based on my past experience, here is what I think will happen if the chaeto takes off.

It will clog the slots making the water rise. Chaeto will rise with it clogging up more of the slots until the water eventually goes over the top.

Can’t remember who but 1 company has a largish lip on the fuge side right below the slots to try and keep the chaeto from clogging up the slots.

Currently, the Chaeto in the back of my Nuvo 40 grows into a solid brick. The water has no problem getting through it. I’m not worried about the Chaeto clogging the slots. I don’t think that will happen. The slots just keep the Chaeto from getting to the next chamber.

Nice choice on the sump there. I actually took a careful look at their sumps as I was DIY'ing mine and got some of my ideas off them.

CDA informed me that my tank and stand will be delivered this weekend! They sent a picture of my stand being built and will send more pictures before they wrap the final product for delivery.

61e9ad18b72b05475434df3a62f318b0.jpg

The stand is an epoxy coated steel frame wrapped with Maple. It will be painted white on the inside and have a dark mocha stain on the outside. It will have four doors on the front and a door on each end.

Last edited:
Man, you'd think with what he charges for those he could use maple instead of birch. Maple is a better grade of wood, but it is more difficult to stain so maybe that's why he uses the birch.

Man, you'd think with what he charges for those he could use maple instead of birch. Maple is a better grade of wood, but it is more difficult to stain so maybe that's why he uses the birch.

My mistake. The stand is wrapped in Maple. I corrected my post. Thanks for catching that.

Wow, steel stand wrapped in really nice wood, I like it!
Strong plus should look great with a nice stain.

So how do the pros attach the wood to the steel though???
I always wondered about that, since wood expands/contracts and steel does not.

They wrap all the way around the uprights. I don’t think the wood our stands are made of gets wet enough to expand. They are painted and sealed. Also, the back will be open so plenty of ventilation. If the wood really did expand, I think solid wood stands would have more of an issue with warping and such. The metal frame holds all the weight and the wood is just for decoration.

The total water volume of my new system is approx 250 gallons. It seems that most people these days dose 2 part with trace elements added. I am leaning towards using a calcium reactor. What are your thoughts? Is it a good idea or too old school? If I use a calcium reactor, will I need to dose any additional trace elements or will my tank look as good as a Korallen-Zucht. Fauna Marin, Triton or Aqua Forest tank without any other additives? I have never used a calcium reactor before. I am looking at the Geo reactors, a Carbondoser Regulator, a Kamoer continuous duty pump, Reborn media and Remag. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
The total water volume of my new system is approx 300 gallons. It seems that most people these days dose 2 part with trace elements added. I am leaning towards using a calcium reactor. What are your thoughts? Is it a good idea or too old school? If I use a calcium reactor, will I need to dose any additional trace elements or will my tank look as good as a Korallen-Zucht. Fauna Marin, Triton or Aqua Forest tank without any other additives? I have never used a calcium reactor before. I am looking at the Geo reactors, a Carbondoser Regulator, a Kamoer continuous duty pump, Reborn media and Remag. Thanks for any advice.

Calcium reactor will not replenish all trace elements. You'll still need to keep up with water changes or dose trace.

I personally don't think I would set up a tank without a calcium reactor anymore except for maybe 20 gallons or less. Heck, I've even set up a carx on a 25 gallon tank. For a 300 gallon tank, there's no way I'd want to mix that much 2-part all the time.

I currently have two reactors set up on two different tanks. One a Vertex and the other a Geo. If I had another build to do, I'd go with a Geo again.

I just noticed we're neighbors; I'm in Castro Valley as well. Swing by sometime, you can take a look at my carx setups to give you some ideas.

The total water volume of my new system is approx 300 gallons. It seems that most people these days dose 2 part with trace elements added. I am leaning towards using a calcium reactor. What are your thoughts?
Well I am in the same boat, system volume around 300g (still dont know how big my sump will be). 2 part is nice, but long term? well I did successfully keep a sps heavy 180g with 2 part exclusively, I simply mixed up batches and stored in old salt buckets, it really isnt that different for large tanks as people think you just need to scale it up, you wouldnt use that 1 gallon ATO reservoir that you use on a 20g tank with one that is 10x larger would you? Same idea.

That said I wouldnt worry about setting up a calcium reactor from the get go if you do go that route as tanks dont have that demand from day 1, nust make sure you leave room for either choice so you arent trying to shoehorn something in later because there isnt any room under your tank :)

Everything looks great. Measurements are correct and seams look very nice. The thing is built like a tank with double overlapping eurobrace on top, eurobrace on bottom and armored seams. The dimensions are 76X29X24. The stand is made of 2” square steel tube. The woodwork turned out nice. In the past, I have always built my own stands. It is a real treat to have one made for me!

That’s a great looking setup, with that size tank you would be able to keep the bigger fish or large schools of smaller fish. Is there a reason you went with 29” instead of 30”? Sometimes custom MFRs have standard glass sizes they usually cut and it’s less expensive to go with one of their standard dims. Wondering if there’s a 30” doorway involved...

Definitely a dream tank! Made me dream about it last night :=). Amazing setup so far Dave. The support system in the crawlspace sounds like a good idea, well thought out. I'll be tagging along for the dream ride.

Back