Kessil

DBTC - Black Branching Sponge

I have a sponge in my tank that is black with white tips. Its grows out and looks like a antler from an deer or elk.

I can provide 4 frags of this to BAYMAC.

Standard DBTC Rules apply.

Please pick a number 1-20

Will try to post pictures tonight.

Gomer said:
iirc, a sponge exposed to air is a dead sponge, so careful on fragging and re-transplanting :)

How come I can't get my sponges to die? I even expose them to air! I don't have the neat looking kind, just the creeping kind that gets over everything. :(

Lyn said:
Gomer said:
iirc, a sponge exposed to air is a dead sponge, so careful on fragging and re-transplanting :)

How come I can't get my sponges to die? I even expose them to air! I don't have the neat looking kind, just the creeping kind that gets over everything. :(

Cuz he's only half right :) Many don't seem to mind what so ever. This one sounds like the chicken liver sponge. Actually partially photosynthetic IIRC as it gets more black in light and white in the dark. Sound like yours Jed?

GreshamH said:
Lyn said:
Gomer said:

Cuz he's only half right :) Many don't seem to mind what so ever. This one sounds like the chicken liver sponge. Actually partially photosynthetic IIRC as it gets more black in light and white in the dark. Sound like yours Jed?

Sound like the ones Ive dealt with. I have a tank with a hand sized colony that looks super cool!

This is a very bad picture, poor quality. But gives you an idea of the sponge. It is growing out of the zoas. Also as Gresh said, which I never noticed it is black with light and white where it is not.

IMG_2218.jpg

That's it :) My friend in Oakland breaks out in hives with any contact with it. If a piece got disturbed in his tank he even breaks out.

For the one I got at BAYMAC, it doesn't have much growth, not even close to doubled. It's sitting in a relative low flow and very low light area.

Try higher light. It will take off. A piece got high in my tank and was growing very fast, maybe an inch plus a week. I will try to post pictures to show grow from last month.

I have some of this growing in nicely in my 20 long. I can offer up a frag or 2 of this sponge if anyone wants to pick up in San jose or Sunnyvale.

Back