High Tide Aquatics

DBTC extreme aussie acans

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3073.msg54671#msg54671 date=1220812288]
Yeah I'm pretty free all the time my work schedule this semester is quite loose, I don't plan on going to the Steinhart for a couple weeks (or at least a weekday when I'm sure all the kids are in school), but I can probably work something out. I doubt you'd want to carry your frags through the place, they may think you're stealing them. I'm a bit far away from GG park, but again we can work something out.

[/quote]

mike,

i can meet you somewhere if you don't live near GG park

Lost my acan today due to a chem war with an acan enchinata. Darnn! it already grown to a decent size where I can make a few frags, then suddenly in just one day it turned to just a white skeleton.

That wouldn't be a chemical war. That would be mesenterial filaments. Acan Echinata's...they have the potential to kill ANYTHING within a few inches of them. I keep all A.E.s far far away from all my other corals because of this. I'm sure some here have experience with them reaching 4+" away from the colony.

About couple inches away. It was on the right side of the enchinata. And on the left side of the enchinata is a large colony of Leng Sy cap which also sustained heavy damaged.

4" Tony? Move that guy aside, try ~8". How do I know? I lost 1/2 of my chalice frags to the a-hole in question, of course they were my nice ones too..... Ticking time bomb I tell ya, like a pitbull with lipstick ;)

unfortunately, I don't know how a could move the enchinata specially when it already encrusted on a large rock. By the way, all my rocks are glued together.

Here is on old picture of the culprit.

acan-enchinata.jpg

Wow, I've not seen 1 inch long sweepers much less 4 - 8 inch long ones.. I'm guessing that's what they do? They hit whatever is nearby with a sweeper then "barf up" onto it? Luckily the only thing on the same rock with my echinatas (and subech) is the bar Montrasta(?) which is still really far away, so worse comes to worse I can always move the rock.

mesenterial filements are no sweepers like we know. Rather, they look like a webbing of sorts.

Here is a couple of images of them
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/reefslides/images/Amy7.jpg (good pic...can't hotlink)
attach.jpg

2hrslater.jpg

I'll take some photos when I see it next of the filiments starting to come out. Quite distinctive. I bet most all of us have seen it and many didnt know what it wasl.

Hmmm don't know if I've seen that before, I'll be on the lookout, I know I was waiting for something to happen (see my Acan fireworks thread) but those seem to have simply grown into each other (the lower one growing underneath.

Here's an interesting thought experiment, if you let time go to infinity yet everything in the tank remains stable, will you end up with just one coral everywhere? Or are there other things that come into play here? I mean I'm sure the super-coral could adjust to various lighting parameters, in nature a coral shading it typically is the death kneel (which might be the case in our tanks) sand usually restricts corals (but I have a barebottom tank), is there ever a rock/paper/scissors moment? Where one coral might kill another, but not that one, and that one can only kill coral 3 and...etc.

No doubt that can happen (chaining through). But I also don't doubt that an echinata won't end up king of the mountain.

Other LPS have these filaments but echinatas tend to toss them out an awful lot.

Not to HI-Jack but sometime back someone gave me an ID that this was a AC, can anyone confrim as It sould be moved if it is

120galcorals7-8-08007.jpg

Back