Reef nutrition

DBTC: Phytoplankton and Rotifers

Hi Reefers,

As I wait for the clownfish to spawn again, I have Phytoplankton and Salt water (Nannochloropsis) Rotifers that I started off from online purchases of both since I was not able to get a local supply by the time the clownfish eggs hatched.

I would like to pass on 2 individuals who want to start their own and secure some if my system crashes. I will pass out around 300-400mL of each in their own separate plastic cruise ship smuggling flasks. (The Phytoplankton does not have the Rotifers in it)

These are not only good for raising baby fry, but for feeding corals, clams, and filter feeders.

Located in Campbell, but work in Sunnyvale/Cupertino after 1/4/16.

Open to all, but hope that if you are not a supporting member, you become one after participating!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/19070930@N03/SH166V

Last edited:
It's very nice of you to do a DBTC with this stuff! I don't need it, but I thought I would just let everyone know that a colleague of mine at UC Berkeley studies Nannochloropsis, so if anyone wants a little Nanno in Berkeley I'm sure I could get you some. Also, my colleague stores his Nannochloropsis strains by simply freezing a dense culture of them. The freezing kills most of the cells, but he says enough of them survive that when you thaw them and put them in new saltwater with some fertilizer they will regrow. Just thought this info might be helpful to anyone wanting to use phytoplankton in their systems.

Best,
Gabe

This may be a better fit for a different thread, but how hard are these to raise? I might be needing my own supply soon but I'm not sure I want to take the next step into active breeding or not.

It probably is a better fit for a different thread, but I grew Nannochloropsis for a while in college just to see what effect it would have on my tank. All you need to grow them is freshly mixed saltwater and a little bit of miracle gro fertilizer. I grew Nanno in a clean 1 liter soda bottle with an air pump bubbling into it and a fluorescent light on a timer on for 18 hours per day. I've never grown rotifers before, so I can't speak about growing them.

Back