Cali Kid Corals

Dinoflagellates vs. UV

I guess since the tank isn't up and running yet I'd like to keep Algae under control, but more so bacterias etc. Is UV suppose to be on 24/7 and bulb replaced once a year?

If it’s just for algae and to be used as a clarifier, the requirements are much less than if you’re trying to manger larger organisms. I’d guess you could actually get away with using 25W at 700gph too polish the water. If you’re trying to managed Protozoa (like ich), you’ll likely have to run a flow less than what the manufacturer actually recommends. I’m guessing the numbers they present in the manual is for freshwater ich, but there are studies that suggest that marine ich takes much more power to sterilize.

See this thread for flow/wattage recommendations and discussion of actual dwell time/wattage.

Post in thread 'Tank Journal - No Tank'
https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/tank-journal-no-tank.23973/post-351221

If it’s just for algae and to be used as a clarifier, the requirements are much less than if you’re trying to manger larger organisms. I’d guess you could actually get away with using 25W at 700gph too polish the water. If you’re trying to managed Protozoa (like ich), you’ll likely have to run a flow less than what the manufacturer actually recommends. I’m guessing the numbers they present in the manual is for freshwater ich, but there are studies that suggest that marine ich takes much more power to sterilize.

See this thread for flow/wattage recommendations and discussion of actual dwell time/wattage.

Only issue I'm seeing with the guy selling the Aqua 25w is it has 3/4" plumbing. I'll be doing 1.25" and don't really want to downsize.
Are Lifegard brand UV any good ?

Thanks!

So the unit the guy is selling for cheap near me is the 3/4" model. I was hoping you can just take that connector off and it's 2" but it looks like there are 2 different sizes 3/4" & 2"

So the unit the guy is selling for cheap near me is the 3/4" model. I was hoping you can just take that connector off and it's 2" but it looks like there are 2 different sizes 3/4" & 2"
The barb usually comes cemented in. If you bought the 3/4”, you’d have to buy the 2” slip union as an accessory which would obviously have more total cost.

Yea, but you’ll have to buy the 2” slip union. Why would you do that when you can just buy it with the 2” slip union in the first place?
Cause the guy is selling it for $25 down the road from me lol. Do those 3/4" fitting coming off by breaking the glue and unscrewing them?

Cause the guy is selling it for $25 down the road from me lol. Do those 3/4" fitting coming off by breaking the glue and unscrewing them?

It’s, 2” to 3/4” thread rushing bushing. You cannot remove the reducing bushing easily.

I am looking to this for my 180 gallon build as well. Got off chat with Aqua UV sterilizers and they told me I need their 40watt for my 180gal with 70 gal sump and that for it to be effective I would have to run pump at least 1500-2000gph. I thought this was nuts! I asked them if their 25w would be ok since I plan to run between 700-900gph and they said no that it wouldn't sufficiently kill everything off.

What do you all think?
So I ran an in tank 9 watt UV with a flow rate of 211gph, so about 4 tank turnover's an hour. 40 watts seems reasonable but I agree 1500-2000gph seem too high. I think 25watts with a flow somewhere in the range of 800-1000 should do it coupled with the other steps I took (i.e. 48 hrs black out, no feed for a week, change filter sock daily and slowly phase the lights back in, etc.). My tank is still (knock on wood) dino free :)

Back