High Tide Aquatics

Diver's Paradise: Felicia's Scuba-Inspired 30 Gallon

very nice...keep am eye out for your alk and calcium droping. They can suck them out of a tank pretty quickly.
Thanks! That's what I've heard! I'm trying to be good and stay more on top of my 2-part dosing. Luckily they are both tiny, so they shouldn't use too much ca and alk yet. I heard as they get bigger they also make their shells thicker as they grow and can use up the ca and alk at a crazy rate.

Here's a fun photo from tonight! A rare shot of the YWG and his pistol buddy!
photo4Edit-2.jpg

I've had these two since I had the original 10 gallon set up, so they've both been with me for around two years. I love the markings on my YWG. He's almost as pretty as a blue spot jawfish, but just grumpier looking
laugh.png

Here's a fun photo from tonight! A rare shot of the YWG and his pistol buddy!
photo4Edit-2.jpg

I've had these two since I had the original 10 gallon set up, so they've both been with me for around two years. I love the markings on my YWG. He's almost as pretty as a blue spot jawfish, but just grumpier looking
laugh.png

Fantastic Shot Felicia!! So cool!

felicia, have you noticed your calc and alk dipping?
Yeah, unfortunately I definitely have alk issues. Ca isn't as much of an issue, but my alk drops a lot during the day. I hand dose nightly, but that doesn't seem to work all that well. My alk is almost always low. Weirdly, some of my SPS corals still grow like weeds even with low alk, but I've had problems with it effecting some of my SPS corals. I really should get a doser, but its just not in my budget right at the moment. I need to get a new light for my seahorse tank and then I may think about saving up for dosers for the main tank.

Wow, last time I tried the pistol/goby pair the goby went to one side of the 6' long tank and the goby to the other and they never became buddies :(
I originally had these two in my 10 gallon tank that was my first venture into saltwater reef tanks, so there wasn't a lot of room for them avoid each other. They found each other immediately and paired right up. That tank only lasted about 5 months before I was hooked and needed more coral space. When I moved everything over into my current tank, they darted opposite directions and spent a couple months separate. Then all of a sudden I noticed they had paired back up and they've lived in the same burrow together since then.

Yeah, unfortunately I definitely have alk issues. Ca isn't as much of an issue, but my alk drops a lot during the day. I hand dose nightly, but that doesn't seem to work all that well. My alk is almost always low. Weirdly, some of my SPS corals still grow like weeds even with low alk, but I've had problems with it effecting some of my SPS corals. I really should get a doser, but its just not in my budget right at the moment. I need to get a new light for my
seahorse tank and then I may think about saving up for dosers for the main tank.

oohhhh my goodness, i could not possibly imagine having to dose by hand everyday. I tried that one time, and I just couldn't keep it up! i commend you

Just wanted to share a couple photos from tonight. It was tank cleaning night and I decided my sour apple birdsnest was overdue for a fragging since it was shading some of my other corals. This thing is insane because I frag huge chunks off of it every couple months and it grows like a weed. I hadn't realized quite how big it had gotten this time until I pulled it up out of the tank and realized how heavy it was. Its really dense and thick and was about the size of a dinner plate! I took the bone cutters to it and now a much smaller chunk of it is back in the tank and my other corals are very happy to have light again.

Here is it is right before I hacked it to pieces :) Keep in mind my tank is only 30 gallons, so this thing was taking up like a fourth of my tank.

After the fragging. The chunk I put back into the tank is on the right and the "frags" (more like mini colonies) are on the left.

Back