Our mission

Diver's Paradise: Take Two!

Awesome pictures as usual! I have a Orange Tree Gorgonian that I got from Baja about a month ago as well.

Seems to be doing good as well. I haven't noticed any growth either. I haven't taken pictures of it so I can't compare it to anything.

Looks happy though.
Oh you got one from them too? That's great. We can compare experiences then since I haven't been able to find a ton of info about these.

I feel like I'm seeing growth, but I didn't take detailed enough photos to compare to be sure. Mine always looks happy and healthy, so I hope they stay that way. What do you feed yours and how often?

I went a little overboard taking photos of the tank tonight, so be prepared for photo overload! I'm also working on a video that I'll post as soon as its done.

Ok, so let's start with the FTS's.

FTS 7/7/14

Left Side

Middle

Right Side

Alright, now for some coral shots!

Symphyllia Brain

Rock Flower Anemones

Elegance

Duncan

Acans

Dendros

Tube Anemones

Wall Hammer

Euphyllia Island

And finally, the tank inhabitants!

Flasher Wrasse

Yellow Watchman Goby and Orange Firefish

Yellow Watchman Goby

Clownfish

Yellow Coris Wrasse and Leopard Wrasse

Yellow Coris Wrasse and Yellow Candy Hogfish

Yellow Candy Hogfish

Leopard Wrasse

Cleaner Shrimp

Sexy Shrimp

Reactions: Nav
I think its interesting you have your frogspawns and hammers so high up in the tank suggesting your light source isnt strong enough to burn them. Theyre considered low light so people will put them in the shade or sandbed area.

But you also have a maxima clam and bubble tip anemone which i assumed require high light. So how does this work out? Seems there are conflicting light demands yet everything appears to be happy.

I think its interesting you have your frogspawns and hammers so high up in the tank suggesting your light source isnt strong enough to burn them. Theyre considered low light so people will put them in the shade or sandbed area.

But you also have a maxima clam and bubble tip anemone which i assumed require high light. So how does this work out? Seems there are conflicting light demands yet everything appears to be happy.
Every coral is different and those are more generalizations on the lighting. Some corals act really strangely relative to recommended lighting and over time, corals get used to their environment.

As a general guideline, it's typically best to start your corals towards the bottom of your tank and slowly light acclimate them so they can adjust to their new environment.

I wouldn't say that LPS corals are low light. They're usually moderate to high lighting, just not as high light as SPS corals. Softies like leathers and mushrooms are what I would consider low light corals. Since this tank is LPS dominated, there are LPS corals at all positions in the height of the tank. My tank is pretty shallow, so there's not that much of a difference between the sandbed and the top of that pillar in terms of PAR anyways. Oh, and the clams on the sand aren't maximas. They're a derasa and a squamosa, which require less light than a maxima.

Very nice. I can tell you put a lot thought into the overall design. Much better than just putting in every coral available.
Thank you, Dick! In my first tank, I didn't plan coral placement very well since I was new to the hobby. I just bought whatever looked nice at the time and found somewhere to stick it. Although I loved my old tank, it was much more cluttered. I wanted to change it up this time around and put a lot of thought into the aquascape, coral selection, and coral placement.

I think we all learn the hard way when we start out. I also bought everything that moved, a lot of soft corals, which spread every where. Probably too much enthusiasm and this hobby is very addictive.

Bubbles tend to be lower light corals. But like mentioned, there are no hard rules.

How long have you had that E. swifta?
True. The euphyllias seem to be just fine with the lighting on top of that pillar. I haven't seen any bleaching or anything.

I've had it for a couple months now. I broadcast feed Marine Snow for it every day and then every couple days I also add Phytoplex and Coral Frenzy. Have you had one before? I'm not positive I'm feeding it enough/the right things.

I have 7 euphyllias in two of my tanks and I basically only feed the smallest one in my 38 gal. The others are in the 150'gal and they are growing at a reasonable rate. In fact I may frag some this fall. I have them at all levels and it doesn't seem to matter to them( bottom, mid, and top). For sure if I wanted at the top I would start low and move up, and wat h them closely to see if they are getting burned. Everyone likes the wavey(sp.) movement especially the torch's.

So beautiful, Felicia! I love how your RBTA's look - very bubble-tipped like those candelabra bulbs and great color! Your goby is so serious and stern looking - gobies are my favorites - is he a good sand sifter? That Duncan is wild!!

So beautiful, Felicia! I love how your RBTA's look - very bubble-tipped like those candelabra bulbs and great color! Your goby is so serious and stern looking - gobies are my favorites - is he a good sand sifter? That Duncan is wild!!
Thanks, Geneva! I'm so thrilled the BTA's are staying bubbly for me. They didn't have a ton of color when I got them (from being in my friend's sump under a cheap PAR bulb for a couple months), but they've really colored up for me. That YWG is the Grumpy Cat of fish. I love his permanent frown. He's not much of a sand sifter. He'll do it sometimes, but not often. He mostly just sits somewhere looking grumpy, haha!

I got that duncan in November of 2011 (I just looked that up) as 3 small heads. Its got too many heads to count at this point. Its definitely one of my showpiece corals :)

Back