Cali Kid Corals

Diver's Paradise: Take Two!

Tank is looking very nce!

I see that you had a reboot due to sand bed issues. Sand beds are one of my favorite topics, so I thought I'd share some info/techniques that should be helpful in maintaining a thriving tank for the long term.

IMO, at least occasional vacuuming of an accessible shallow sand bed is very important to a system's health. But, there is another part of this process that is often overlooked which I find especially important for nano reef aquariums due to the usually high ratio of livestock to water volume.

Whether medium or fine grain, advective forces will push the detritus down into any sand bed. Basically, the more flow the further down the detritus will decend. Same is true if there is an obstruction in the way of the flow, such as live rock (see 'Reef Aquarium' Vol. 3, pgs. 263-264 - Sprung/Delbeek for detailed analysis). Because of this phenomenon, I vacuum under one base rock area every 3-4 months and then move on in a few months to a different base rock, etc. This way I avoid disturbing too much all at once, which could potentially destabilize a tank (especially if this process hasn't been done before). The amount of concentrated detritus removed from these locations is staggering! This is for shallow sand beds only as deep sand beds are a whole different proposition :)

It's a bit of extra work, but more than any other process I credit this 'under the base rock' cleaning technique to the health and longevity of my 6+ year old Nano.

Just a quick update with the new corals from MACNA.
New scoly from Exotic Reef Creations at MACNA
wub.png

IMG_0011.jpg

New acans from Gonzo Corals at MACNA. My photo doesn't show it, but its a pretty nice mini colony. It has like 7 big heads and a ton of little babies.
IMG_0029.jpg

Hulk acans from Gonzo Corals at MACNA. I love the teal color of these.
IMG_0006.jpg

Purple, baby blue, and green micromussas from Gonzo Corals at MACNA.
IMG_0005.jpg

Green fuzzy mushroom and the new superman mushroom from Gonzo Corals at MACNA.
IMG_0036.jpg

Some of my zoas.
IMG_0040.jpg

Tiger Derasa
IMG_0043.jpg

Hammer
IMG_0046.jpg

New bicolor frogspawn from MACNA. The purple patch isn't visible in the photo.
IMG_0048.jpg

One of my BTA's.
IMG_0054.jpg

Some rock flower anemones.
IMG_0064.jpg

Sexy shrimp and my favorite rock flower nem.
IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Check out this awesome present I got! Its a 3rd Edition copy of Charles Darwin's "Coral Reefs" printed in 1897. I love antique books, so its so amazing to have an antique book by a famous scientist about coral reefs.
biggrin.png

photo9-10.jpg

photo7-10.jpg

photo8-10.jpg

photo-20.jpg

photo1-21.jpg

photo2-20.jpg

photo3-21.jpg

It has really cool fold out maps.
photo4-21.jpg

photo5-16.jpg

Lily had to investigate of course.
photo6-13.jpg

Woah thats a pretty awesome gift! Amazing how accurate the map outlines are for something from 1897..
They do seem very accurate! Its so neat to see what the level of knowledge was in 1897. I haven't read much of it yet, but from flipping through it, its fun to see blurbs about specific corals in the hobby.

Back