Reef nutrition

DIY Calcium Reactor

Tony I know a lot of people actually mix glycerin and water. Since glycerin actually can absorb water from the air I don't think evaporation is an issue.

[quote author=iani link=topic=5970.msg76330#msg76330 date=1232640875]
Tony I know a lot of people actually mix glycerin and water. Since glycerin actually can absorb water from the air I don't think evaporation is an issue.
[/quote]

For $$$ reasons or performance?

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5970.msg76300#msg76300 date=1232610080]
The only thing that concerns me is MJ o-rings are not super safe for external use IMO/IME. I'd run that in sump if you can (remove metal fitting of course)
[/quote]

My mega kalkwasser mixer uses an external maxijet and it has never leaked (4 years!) However, I DO put some silicon sealant on the impeller/input/output housing before closing up the pump. The kalk mixer eats an impeller every year or so and thats with only 2x 15 minute on periods per day. Bad kalkmixer design on my part as the intake is too low and some kalk powder can get in there. Also the direction I put the pump (the impeller shaft is vertical, with the impeller blades on top and the "well" that the impeller sits in is down, so it can accumulate undissolved kalk)... but I digress.

Use some silicon (or plumber's goop) on the impeller cover to prevent leaks. And of course, put the whole reactor in a wash basin for a couple of days when you start using it...just in case!

V

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5970.msg76328#msg76328 date=1232639658]
Pretty sure glycerin is used only because it evaporates much slower than water and is "safe" unlike oils.
[/quote]

What about baby (mineral) oil? Oil and water don't mix...would fish eat oil bubbles? I know veggie oils would go rancid after a while.

V

Mineral oil or liquid petroleum is a by-product in the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline and other petroleum based products from crude oil. It is a transparent, colorless oil composed mainly of alkanes (typically 15 to 40 carbons)[1] and cyclic paraffins, related to white petrolatum. It has a density of around 0.8 g/cm3.[2] Mineral oil is a substance of relatively low value, and it is produced in very large quantities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

Yah, I wouldn't touch my tank with that :)

I never understood what "Mineral Oil" is. And when talking about motor oil, I never could figure out what "Synthetic Oil" is made of...the answer I always got was "Oh, synthetic motor oil is mineral oil" Huh? I'm off to check wikipedia now!

I guess it's just best to stick some ready handy and cheap RO water into the bubble counter, even if you have to replace it every once in a while, it's safe!

V

OK, according to Wikipedia, it is a petroleum product, but it's used as baby oil externally OR CONSUMED AS A LAXATIVE FOR BABIES. So I guess it's not that dangerous if we feed the stuff to babies!!

In anycase, I'll stick to RO water in a bubble counter.

V

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=5970.msg76402#msg76402 date=1232657780]
OK, according to Wikipedia, it is a petroleum product, but it's used as baby oil externally OR CONSUMED AS A LAXATIVE FOR BABIES. So I guess it's not that dangerous if we feed the stuff to babies!!

In anycase, I'll stick to RO water in a bubble counter.

V

[/quote]

Keyword: LAXATIVE :) What goes in must come out. A skimmer wouldn't help much with it so you'd have to try to skimmer it off the surface and pery nothing captured any. The scale of a HUMAN compared to that of a coral is pretty decently different :D

Try it, let us know :p

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5970.msg76314#msg76314 date=1232611640]
which model Eheim?
[/quote]

It doesn't need to be big. 1046 or 1048 I'd say.

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=5970.msg76432#msg76432 date=1232667488]
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5970.msg76415#msg76415 date=1232662973]
Cause its got electrolytes?
[/quote]

It has what tanks CRAVE!!!

[/quote]
I love you just a little bit more today :D

Back